CRC problems with synctoy 2.1; windows 7 and XP SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I use Synctoy 2.1 and a USB drive to synchronize files between work PC (XP) and home PC (Win7x64).  All files are NTFS.  However, I am noticing that some Excel files are getting mangled.  The CRC changes, even though the file has not changed.

Is there a fix or update to correct this?

Thx,

Ray

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:13 PM

All replies

• I have seen corrupted files also with:

Photos- the thumbnail will appear, and the file size is shown as correct, but the file is corrupted or blank,

PLC program files from Siemens STEP 7 microWin- files are again corrupted

Eagle electronic CAD software- files are corrupted, and even though show up as correct size, the file is essentially empty when viewed with low level editing tools.  

The files are being synced between multiple computers via an NTFS portable drive. One of the oddest parts of the errors, as you are mentioning above is that the files were corrupted on the source and destination side- even though they had not been changed in the original location.   I have not been able to pin down exactly when the errors occur, and unless you are checking crc's or opening the files and keeping careful watch on them (not so handy with thousands or tens of thousands of synced files) it is not obvious until you attempt to use the file!  I (and coworkers) have become leery of using this tool- and am wondering about the whole sync framework..... 

Sunday, May 1, 2011 7:53 PM
  • The corrupt files kept happening to me.  Especially Excel.  Everything would look ok, except the CRC's would change.

This MS product is FREE and it's a TOY.  MS does not take it seriously since I have had no response in a week.

However, it is supposedly built on their "sync framework". 

This is bad when MS can't even get a file copy to work in windows with their own framework!!!

After lots of looking, I have switched to another FREE product:  ALLWAY SYNC. 

It has lots of features and is integrated with the Task Scheduler.  It works well. 

Good luck with the MS Toy.

Monday, May 2, 2011 2:17 PM
  • We have abandoned using sync toy because of the unpredictable file corruptions. No NAS drives involved. Wondering about the "Sync Framework".... Looking for solid alternatives for same app. Looking at using Dropbox instead of portable drives to go between multiple computers with synctoy, but security concerns make us cautious.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:11 PM