Cannot change product key RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new product key and then did the update product key as per instructions. I then checked validation and all was good. However, I had issues with my installed copy of norton anti virus (would not start) so I did a system restore to a point prior to making product key update. After I reinstalled norton I tried to redo the product key update but get the message that the key was in use and would not let me make the key update as before. My windows xp is now invalid again. How can I correct this without paying another 157.00 for another key?
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:36 PM

Answers

• Webgod,

The emailed Product Key will only work with the Key Updater Utility one time.  The Updater is only meant to be a one-time temporary measure to get your installation of XP back to a Genuine status.

In your situation, you will have to wait until the physical XP CDROM arrives in the mail and then do a repair reinstallation or preferably a clean installation in order to Get Genuine again.  A clean instalaltion with Genuine MS media is the best way to ensure that your installation of XP is truly genuine with no possibility of embedded malware.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:08 PM

All replies

• Webgod,

The emailed Product Key will only work with the Key Updater Utility one time.  The Updater is only meant to be a one-time temporary measure to get your installation of XP back to a Genuine status.

In your situation, you will have to wait until the physical XP CDROM arrives in the mail and then do a repair reinstallation or preferably a clean installation in order to Get Genuine again.  A clean instalaltion with Genuine MS media is the best way to ensure that your installation of XP is truly genuine with no possibility of embedded malware.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Dan,

Do you know if I will have software problems once I do a repair? I have a rather large amount of software on my machine and want to avoid that clean install. I wonder if the repair will cause some software not to funcition due to a new product key being done to validate windows XP.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:32 PM
  • Webgod,

The repair reinstallation procedure has been designed to preserve your data and installed programs, and I have done quite a few and have never experienced a problem.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

But......... the wise person always backs up before doing a repair reinstallation, just in case!

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 11:07 PM