OCS install - Different geographc locations RRS feed

• Question

•  

HiI

I have got a client looking to roll out ocs 2007. I was wondering what is best install plan. they just want im and vid conf internally at the moment. they have a site in europe, asia and america the clients on each site are 200, 150,50 respectively. Links between sites are about 10mb. Should I install a standard ocs server on each site? will the company have the full functionality of ocs even if users are on different ocs servers i.e. if a user in server europe see all info for a user in server america. If a conference is scheduled will that conf be hosted on the server that the presenter is located and all other users on other sites that are invited to the conf do they join the conf on the presenters server or can the conf be hosted between the two ocs servers i.e. that a user in europe is hosted locally and a user in asia is hosted locally but they are both attending the same conf?

Thanks

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Celtic,

a lot of questions;-)

In the end it depends on how IM and Conferencing  will be used (Meeting Policies) and on the normally available bandwidth on the WAN-links. I suppose we're talking about one active directory domain/forest? In this scenario with quit good connections I would prefer a centralized Standard Edition approach at first and have a look how systems evolves... You can simply add additional OCS SE's and move users;-)

Of course the Conferencing Content is hosted on the presenters OCS Server. That means the one, who implements the conference, automatically defines where the content is placed (on his OCS) and where it has to be downloaded.And of course you have full functionality of ocs, even if your users are on different SE's.

Michael

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Celtic,

a lot of questions;-)

In the end it depends on how IM and Conferencing  will be used (Meeting Policies) and on the normally available bandwidth on the WAN-links. I suppose we're talking about one active directory domain/forest? In this scenario with quit good connections I would prefer a centralized Standard Edition approach at first and have a look how systems evolves... You can simply add additional OCS SE's and move users;-)

Of course the Conferencing Content is hosted on the presenters OCS Server. That means the one, who implements the conference, automatically defines where the content is placed (on his OCS) and where it has to be downloaded.And of course you have full functionality of ocs, even if your users are on different SE's.

Michael

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Thanks Michal for clearing that up. That was my frame of thought but needed assurance :-)

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:10 PM