Invalid Key? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

I recently repaired my genuine installation of Windows XP Professional SP2. Problem is, when it asks me for my product key, it says it's invalid! I've been using the key for almost 2 years without a problem (it is genuine / i've passed validation on the microsoft.com website). What I believe now is that I have an OEM key (since it came from a manufacturer of computers) and i need the OEM cd to install windows, but the problem is, I was not provided the OEM cd from the start; all I have is a normal Windows XP Pro CD from another computer.

Is there a way I could get an OEM cd with my key?

Friday, July 7, 2006 9:25 PM

Answers

• kaheiyeh,

That's great, if you have any more questions concerning WGA, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Saturday, July 8, 2006 4:34 AM

All replies

• Microsoft does not offer replacements of OEM Windows XP CDs.  You need to contact the manufacturer of your computer and request their OEM Windows XP recovery CD designed for your specfic computer.

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us  

Friday, July 7, 2006 11:12 PM
  • Actually i'm alright now, I used the Key Update Tool from Microsoft to change my key and now the diagnostic tool says it's genuine; but thanks for the help
    Friday, July 7, 2006 11:19 PM
  • kaheiyeh,

That's great, if you have any more questions concerning WGA, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Saturday, July 8, 2006 4:34 AM
  • Derrick,

I have a different type of problem. My Laptop Compaq Presario 2100 came with genuine Windows XP Home Edition. Product Key is also written on back of my Laptop. Few months back my system crashed and I failed to locate the original installation CD. I installed Windows XP professional edition from illegal copy to get my system working. Is there any way out to use my legal product key to update in this copy of Professional edition without losing my installed programs.

Thanks,

Saturday, July 8, 2006 6:10 AM
  • Rajeev,

Unfortunately, there is no MS-supported procedure to "revert" an installation of XP Pro back to XP Home.

In such case, you have to do it the old-fashioned way, offload or otherwise back up your data and then do a clean installation of XP Home.

Sunday, July 9, 2006 3:07 AM
  •  kaheiyeh wrote:

Hey guys,

I recently repaired my genuine installation of Windows XP Professional SP2. Problem is, when it asks me for my product key, it says it's invalid! I've been using the key for almost 2 years without a problem (it is genuine / i've passed validation on the microsoft.com website). What I believe now is that I have an OEM key (since it came from a manufacturer of computers) and i need the OEM cd to install windows, but the problem is, I was not provided the OEM cd from the start; all I have is a normal Windows XP Pro CD from another computer.

Is there a way I could get an OEM cd with my key?

Monday, July 10, 2006 6:38 AM
  • I have a different problem. I hope people are still reading this thread... I have a compaq presario 2100 laptop which i have not used for roughly 3 years now due to a broken hard drive. Recently, i brought it back to life, bought a new hard drive and installed the original windows xp operating system CD that came with the brand new laptop. Unfortunately, after i install windwos xp, windows activation says that i have an invalid product key, but i am sure that the key i have (sticker stuck at the bottom of the laptop) is real and original, so are the system restore CDs that came with the laptop (all new and never used until today). How is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:19 AM