Howto configure the email router after the sever was installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone

As the subject says, I need to configure the Email-Router after I installed the Server. What I did: I installed/upgraded the new CRM 4, moved that environment to a new machine and database (it was all on a SBS before :-/ ). Then I installed the new email router on another machine and now I need to tell the server to use this router-machine.

During the server-setup I skipped the router configuration and the installer told me that this is optional and can be done later, but I cannot find any option in the Deployment Manager or somewhere else to configure this.

Thanks
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:51 PM

Answers

•  emessage wrote:
    I don't think you need to reconfigure anything in CRM.  In fact, I don't even know why the installation of CRM asks you the location of the router.  I haven't been able to find this entry in the registry or the mscrm_config database. 

If you use CRM to send email, you configure the users to use the router for outgoing email.  In the CRM Router configuration, you would then create an outgoing email profile and link it to your deployment.  Then, when a user creates an email within CRM, the email is actually created in the organization's database.  The router, now having an outgoing email profile linked to the organization, will poll the database for new emails and send it using the outgoing profile.

If you configure users to use a Forward mailbox for incoming email, a rule will forward their email to an Exchange mailbox.  You would then link this mailbox to an incoming profile that is linked to the organization.

In both cases, the information that is entered in the installation screen of CRM server seems pointless.  Can someone from MS confirm this?

I can remember a case where one of my customers needed to replace their existing router.  I simply had him install the new router and redeploy the rules pointing them to the new server.  We didn't have to reconfigure anything in CRM.

Ok, I figured out why you need to specify the name during installation.  The installer adds the server to the PrivUserGroup in AD.  So if you install the server afterwards you need to add it manually to the PrivUserGroup.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:02 PM

All replies

•  

Did you install the email router on the CRM server?

1. Configure Outgoing profile (to send outbound emails)
    2. Configure Incoming profile (to check email boxes for tracked emails) and specify the option - User specified for login details
    3. Configure Organization profile (point it to the CRM URL and make it use the Incoming and Outgoing profile you just created)
    4. Publish
    5. Go to your CRM user setttings - set your incomming and outgoing profiles as 'Email router' then save and close
    6. In the CRM web application, go to tools > options > email tab and check the box 'allow email router to use my credentials' - input your exchange username or password. and save.

Outlook tracking (Must have CRM client installed).

1. Go to your CRM user settings - set your incoming and outgoing as 'Microsoft Dynamics CRM for outlook' and save and close
    2. Open outlook, click on CRM menu bar then click options > click on email tab. check the two boxes to allow outlook to send and track emails.
    Friday, November 28, 2008 12:12 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

ibbz101 wrote:

Did you install the email router on the CRM server?

No. Since the smtp and exchange still reside on the SBS-machine I installed the Router there as well (because I didnt want to install smtp on the crm-machine)

The user profiles should still be configured sicne the routing worked on crm 3. So I started by checking the smtp/email settings in the IIS. The only thing I could see there is an option "Deliver email to smtp-server". Is this also of some use? And what would happen if my password expires and I have to choose a new one...will the webapp be so smart to ask me again or will the routing just not work any more?

Friday, November 28, 2008 8:37 AM
  • Email router is different in CRM4. Do you have forward mailbox implemented?
    Friday, November 28, 2008 8:40 AM
  • Yes, all User are set to "Forward" for incoming and "Email Router" for outgoing.

In the router configuration the incoming profile uses exchange and the outgoing is set to smtp.

EDIT: Basically the thing I want to do is telling the crm-server which server/machine to use for routing as I could do during installation (which I skipped since it was optional).
    Friday, November 28, 2008 8:46 AM
  • Can noone explain how to configure the router-server for the crm-server?

If I have to do this bye going directly to the database, fine for me. I just need to know where to go.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 2:47 PM
  • I don't think you need to reconfigure anything in CRM.  In fact, I don't even know why the installation of CRM asks you the location of the router.  I haven't been able to find this entry in the registry or the mscrm_config database. 

If you use CRM to send email, you configure the users to use the router for outgoing email.  In the CRM Router configuration, you would then create an outgoing email profile and link it to your deployment.  Then, when a user creates an email within CRM, the email is actually created in the organization's database.  The router, now having an outgoing email profile linked to the organization, will poll the database for new emails and send it using the outgoing profile.

If you configure users to use a Forward mailbox for incoming email, a rule will forward their email to an Exchange mailbox.  You would then link this mailbox to an incoming profile that is linked to the organization.

In both cases, the information that is entered in the installation screen of CRM server seems pointless.  Can someone from MS confirm this?

I can remember a case where one of my customers needed to replace their existing router.  I simply had him install the new router and redeploy the rules pointing them to the new server.  We didn't have to reconfigure anything in CRM.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:33 PM
  •  emessage wrote:
    I don't think you need to reconfigure anything in CRM.  In fact, I don't even know why the installation of CRM asks you the location of the router.  I haven't been able to find this entry in the registry or the mscrm_config database. 

Ok, I figured out why you need to specify the name during installation.  The installer adds the server to the PrivUserGroup in AD.  So if you install the server afterwards you need to add it manually to the PrivUserGroup.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:02 PM