Are the drive extender issues resolved? RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed the thread on Drive Extender closed on July 18, 2008.  I've read the entire thread and was going to leave a post, but it was locked.  I've got a really big problem.  The info is as follows:
    I'm running HP Media Smart Server that came with a 500GB Drive.  It has Power Pack 1 installed.  I've added 3 1TB drives.
    COMPUTER MANAGEMENT on the WHMS shows:
    Volume        Staus                        Capacity        Free Space        %Free
    SYS (C:)        Healthy System         20GB            14.68 GB            73%
    DATA (D:)      Healthy                    445.75GB      100.94 GB          22%
    DATA             Healthy                    931.50GB      931.41 GB          99%
    DATA             Healthy                    931.50GB      931.41 GB          99%

MY Computer on the server shows:
    Name        Type                Total Size        Free Space
    SYS (C:)    Local Disk        20 GB              14.6GB
    DATA (D:)  Local Disk        445 GB            4.93GB        (This was showing 100.94 GB until I ran the LZreallocator.  After I ran that I got the 4.93GB reading.  Now what do I do?????)

My WHS console shows:
    Total Size: 3.18TB
    Free Space: 2.23TB
    Shared Folders (345GB)
    Duplication (345GB)
    PC Backups (266GB)
    System (21GB)
    Free Space (2.2TB)
    AND ALL IS "HEALTHY"

From my VISTA client
    My mapped drive says 4.93GB free of 445GB and it's all RED

I need the storage.  I guess maybe the HMS was the wrong solution.  Please someone help.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:01 AM

Answers

• Txchilie said:

DATA (D:)  Local Disk        445 GB            4.93GB        (This was showing 100.94 GB until I ran the LZreallocator.  After I ran that I got the 4.93GB reading.  Now what do I do?????)
    [.....

When running LZreallocator, did by chance  execution in a non-normal way (not pressing ctlr-C)?

In that case there is a possibility that the temporary files created by the tool where not removed. Please read the documentation (readme.txt) accompanying the tool on how to remove these files (if any).

Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:34 PM

All replies

• If the files in the shared folders have been already there, before Power Pack 1 has been installed, they are not moved automatically.
    So you could try to remove some files from the shared folders by copying them to the client or an external disk and after that copy them back again.
    Some background information can be found here.

Also check the event log of the server, if there are problems noted.

See, if you can clean up the backups (or if all PCs are known as ok, remove them all together and start over).
    Did you explicitely use the WHS console to create shares or did you create shares and folders outside of the console, maybe via Remote Desktop?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:49 AM
  • Your numbers don't add up. You've said you have 1x500 GB and 3x1 TB, and you're showing that there are only files on your system drive (500 GB). But even ignoring duplication, you need over 600 GB of space to hold everything.

First, if you've been doing a lot in Remote Desktop, there is a possibility that you've changed some critical setting that WHS needs to function correctly, and that's caused a problem. We'll deal with that if and when we need to, but most likely you should just copy everything off the server, delete everything in the shares, and copy it all back. When you put the files back, don't copy from a physically attached drive to D:\Shares\etc., instead copy directly to the shares. Ignore your backups for now. They'll probably start to move off the system disk eventually, and if you can free up the space taken up now by your files, you should be fine.

If moving the files doesn't correct the problem, then perhaps it's time to look at a server recovery, perr the user's guide for your MediaSmart Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:09 PM
  • Txchilie said:

[.....

When running LZreallocator, did by chance  execution in a non-normal way (not pressing ctlr-C)?

In that case there is a possibility that the temporary files created by the tool where not removed. Please read the documentation (readme.txt) accompanying the tool on how to remove these files (if any).

Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:34 PM