none
WHS Home Connector problem RRS feed

• Question

• I know this problem has been asked a dozen or more times on this forum or another site.  I have scanned many forums regarding this topic but nothing suggested has resolved my problem.  Actually, I have two problems which they are related to each in some way or fashion.   I think if I fix one problem, it will resolve the other problem too.

I have two MediaSmart servers, LX195 and EX485 both running WHS v1.   The LX195 has been configured for Remote access, outside my network.  Both servers has Static IP’s (192.168.1.xx) which I don’t have any problems with the Router to Server relationship.  

I have Three Window XP and Two Vista computers.  These Five client computers all have the Home Connector software installed pointing to the LX195 server.   These computers have the Firewall turned ON as well as the WHS is added as an exception.

1. On any of these Five computers, if I run the WHS connector Discovery, I receive the classic error message:  “No Home Server can be found”.   I can manually locate my Servers but not automatically.
    2. After I logon to http://name.homeserver.com (HP MediaSmart Server Website), under Computer tab, it will list the above Five computers, and I get a Green dot “available for connection”.   However, when I try to access ANY of those computers, I get an error message.

Again, I think if I fix the Home connector problem, the second problem will be fixed.  Here is what I have tried already on all Five computers:

FlushDNS

Reset Winsock

Uninstalled/reinstalled the Home connector, servername:55000

Turned OFF the firewall

Nothing above fixed the Home connector problem.  I am at a loss for what to do next.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:31 PM

All replies

• I dont have connector installed on any of my 4 pc? do you really need it? On each of my computers I just changed the default location of each shared folder to point to my servers corrsponding folder. No issues and if I have to get into the server I RDP, then use the dashboard from there. I found to many issues with Connector. I can as well contact any other computer in my house by logging on using the srever internal IP.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:07 AM
  • I dont have connector installed on any of my 4 pc? do you really need it? On each of my computers I just changed the default location of each shared folder to point to my servers corrsponding folder. No issues and if I have to get into the server I RDP, then use the dashboard from there. I found to many issues with Connector. I can as well contact any other computer in my house by logging on using the srever internal IP.

How do you do backups of your Clients to your Server?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:03 AM
  • Good question, I have lights out installed and simply configured whs2011 it to do backups, one better... is I just bought a netbook for my kids, win 7 starter never did any changes to it and the server automatically recognized it once I connected it to the wifi on my network.Nm I just caught my mispost, Im running whs 2011 and he has v1. Im quite sure I still did not have conector installed with my v1 back then as well. I might be mistaken. The last part is I do not need backups as there is no data storage on any of my computers it pulls directly from server.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:14 AM