OEM built WHS versus Custom WHS platform RRS feed

• General discussion

• Despite what Ed Bott (an OEM shill?) says concerning the OEM platform versus a home-built platform - Personally this doesn't hold water with me at all. If you can build a custom platform that uses certified drivers from the MS Lib or valid compliant OEM driver updates (WHLS-compliant)from a reputable source, and if that platform will run Windows XP or better right out of the box, I can't see any difference with that scenario than with an OEM-built box to run WHS. Having worked for an OEM builder, I can tell you that while there may be some minor quality issues with a home-built versus an OEM-built platform, as long as the builder sticks with standard product that meets spec, there should not be any issues with it either way.
    • Changed type Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:51 PM not a question, more like a rant
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:15 PM

All replies

• What you say is true (except for the crack about Ed Bott being an industry shill).

However, the average end user of Windows Home Server will, if they decide to build their own server, tend to choose value priced components without giving a lot of thought to whether they will work for the specific purpose intended. With an OEM device you are purchasing hardware that has been extensively tested and approved to work in exactly the environment it needs to work in. That level of testing and certification would take an individual many hours, which (if factored into TCO) would raise the bottom line cost of a home-built server well above the offerings from manufacturers such as HP and Acer.

Building a server yourself may be satisfying, and if you have excellent technical skills (because Windows Home Server isn't designed for end-user installation) it's certainly do-able, but for most users it's an additional expense they don't actually need.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:50 PM