Two backups each night RRS feed

• Question

• One of the PCs on my WHS11 started doing a second backup every night.  This started about 3 weeks ago  a few days after we had a power outage.  EG - one runs at 12:30 am and the other one runs at 3 am.  Both are shown as successful, auto backups.  This PC is running Vista.  It is only listed once in the list of computers.

How do I fix this?

Bob...

Friday, January 4, 2013 6:18 PM

All replies

• I don't know, but I would try switching off the backups for that Client (retaining existing backups) and then set it up again and seeing if that works.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, January 4, 2013 6:32 PM
  • I tried this but it did not change anything.  When I restarted the backups it did two again.  I may stop backups, reinstalll the connector as a new machine and see what happens.  This PC used to have an alert about a USB disk needing to be backed up but that is gone now.  Hasn't been an external drive on it for a long time.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 1:34 AM
  • The client backups are triggered by a scheduled task on the client machine. Maybe that the conditions and/or triggers for the backup task may give an indication of why this is happening?

Luc.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Look in Task Scheduler - Microsoft, Windows, Windows Server where you should have a single "Backup" task.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:12 PM
  • I have been distracted by trying to get a Win 8 machine backed by WHS - looks like I will need to switch to Server 2012 Ess!.  Sorry fo the delay.

I have loked at the scheduler on the client and it is complex.  I only see one run schedulled.  I am rusty on Task Scheduler espically in Vista. 

Last night the task log shows trigger at 12:20, then the engine recvs a message, Action Starts, Task starts (these all have a Operational code of (1)), a task process is created within minutes.  At 1:17 the task registration is deleted, task is registered.  Then an Action completed, Task completed (thse have an Operational code of (2)), and at 3:48 the task registration is deleted and the task is registared is deleted again.  The end.  The server log shows a backup of all partitions at 12:46 and at 3:19.  The clocks on the server and the client are close to the same. 

Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:18 AM
  • Thanks for pointing me to the Task Scheduler.  I assume you saw my reply to Luc.

Bob...

Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:19 AM