none
Can Writer work with Wordpress.org and the Thesis theme?

Question

• As per title. A lady has contacted me stating that no matter how many times she has tried, Writer will not 'sync' with her Wordpress. org blog which uses the Thesis template. Is this impossible for Live Writer or should she keep trying to get it to sync?

Thanks

TG
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:02 PM

Answers

• I've found a quite a few themes that don't work with Windows Live Writer 2009. So Windows Live Writer has it's own limitations; sometimes it works- sometimes not.

Windows Live Writer doesn't always detect the themes correctly, and its terribly irritating to have this issue. But you SHOULD still be able to use Windows Live Writer with those themes; you just need to make some manual adjustments. I've an article that are some options for Windows Live Writer users to try to help them with their theme issues.

http://www.lehsys.com/2010/02/windows-live-writer-creating-a-custom-template/

Hope this helps.

Later,
    Larry

• Marked as answer by technogranny Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:59 PM
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:42 PM

All replies

• When you say SYNC ...

Are you referring to being able to pull posts from the site and list them in Windows Live Writer for editing?

OR

Are you referring to the ability to post/publish information to the Wordpress site using Windows Live Writer?

Does the problem only happen with a specific theme?
    Has she tried another theme? [same issue?]

Just trying to help...

-------------
    Later,
    LEHenryJr.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:54 PM
  • I mean, pull the whole theme down into Writer so that you get full WYSIWYG functionality. For example, no matter which theme or layout I choose on my Windows Live Space or on Blogger, I can see it EXACTLY as it will look like in the composing window, colours, fonts, layout etc, so I call that syncing. LOL

TG
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:00 AM
  • I've found a quite a few themes that don't work with Windows Live Writer 2009. So Windows Live Writer has it's own limitations; sometimes it works- sometimes not.

Windows Live Writer doesn't always detect the themes correctly, and its terribly irritating to have this issue. But you SHOULD still be able to use Windows Live Writer with those themes; you just need to make some manual adjustments. I've an article that are some options for Windows Live Writer users to try to help them with their theme issues.

http://www.lehsys.com/2010/02/windows-live-writer-creating-a-custom-template/

Hope this helps.

Later,
    Larry

• Marked as answer by technogranny Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:59 PM
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Thanks for your help, I'll let her know.

TG
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:59 PM
  • I use Thesis 1.6 on a WordPress blog and WLW has no problem synching the theme from the server. I've had this config since early versions of Thesis going back nearly 2 years, with no issues at all re WLW and WordPress.

What version of the Thesis theme is installed? Ditto WordPress?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:32 AM
  • janglesextra thanks for your reply. The lady in question has not got back to me since her initial enquiry so I will just have to wait until she does before letting you know which version she is using. As I am always trying new themes out myself I do know that sometimes Writer will occasionally have problems especially with some of the 'full width' themes but I just delete it and then try again, it usually succeeds eventually.

TG
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:40 PM
  • You might also suggest she asks about her issue in the Thesis support forum http://diythemes.com/forums/ . If she's running Thesis, she will have access rights to that support forum. Lot of smart and helpful people there, very knowledgeable about Thesis configs.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:07 AM
  • I have tried this many times, I guess the best software to work with wordpress is BlogDesk.
    home theater san diego san diego audio visual audio visual san diego
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:38 PM
  • I used to be able to make Thesis work with WLW but not recently — I upgraded to 1.8 and it still doesn't work. I tested with plugins off, too. Anyone get this combo working?
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:47 PM
  • This is an OLD forum for Windows Live Writer; Microsoft will be shutting it down soon [to be read only]... But there's a NEW forum, with more activity and more Microsoft techs working it. I suggest you go there and resubmit your inquiry there...

Here's the URL:
          http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=9 

and

in the latest version the theme detection is better...

If not already, download the beta...
           http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-beta

I hope this helps...

If this information helps you, please 'Propose as the Answer' to help others.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:48 PM