Driver problem RRS feed

• Question

• Because of some problems I've done a full reinstallation of my WHS.  I'm not to experienced in this, so during the installation it took me a while to figure out why the server did not connect to the internet.  It didnt have any driver for the network controller, so after looking around I found the CD from the box that came with the server and from this CD (MSI Drivers and utilities for Win XP) the server then found a driver that let me connect to internet.  Happy so far I continued the installation of updates and Powerpacks.

However after a while the following errors start occuring:

• The computer is losing contact with the server when I transfer big amounts of files.  It comes back after a minute or two.
    • Files that are copyed over are corrupt.
    • When i log on to the server over remote desktop the servers error reporting end up in a web-page saying that the reason might be a faulty driver.

So, then I start wondering if I've installed the wrong driver for my network controller.

• My mainboard is MSI P6NGM-FIH, nForce-630i+GF7150, m-ATX
      https://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=341708&view=detailed#ProductTabs
    • On the server under Network adapters I find
      a 1394 net adapter with driver from Microsoft (date 01.10.2002 ver 5.2.3790.0)
      I also find a Nvidia nForce networking controller with driver from NVIDIA (date 12.10.2007 ver 67.6.7.0)

Can anyone please help me answering:

• Which drivers should I have and where to find them?
    • Any other reasons for the errors I experience?
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:38 PM

Answers

• After I stopped trying to solve the problem via remote desktop I think I got closer to what might be the solution.  I hooked the keyboard and screen on to the server, ant then I read the error messages appearing on the blue screens showing up each time the server went down.  Two of the most common were:

• IRQL_NOT_SMALLER_OR EQUAL
    • INVALID_PAGE_FAULT
    • And one about memory....

I decided to check the memory status and downloaded Memtest (Pro Version) from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/.  I then burnt a bootable cd with the 32bit version and put it into the server and restarted it so that it booted from the CD.

• First the screen flooded over with error messages: clearly indicating something was wrong.
    • Then I shut down the server, removed one RAM-module and restarted it.
      No error messages after 100% search, so I shut the server down again.
    • I put the first RAM-module I had removed back in and removed the other before I restarted the server again.
      The screen now flowed over with error mesages again, but I wasn't sure if it was te RAM-module or the slot that was faulty, so I shut the server down again.
    • I removed the RAM-module that had given me trouble twice and then put in the good one again, this time in the slot that had not worked twice.  Then I restarted the server again.
      I left the test running the night over, and next day after running 1300% coverage test I shut the server down again.
    • Since I now had a working RAM-module and one that was clearly faulty I removed the memtest-CD from the drive and restarted the server with only one RAM-module.
      It now works as a clockwork and I have no problems at all.

I'm not sure if the memtest program could be downloadted and run under WHS OS.  But the PRO version gives you the oppurtunity to make bootable CD's for both 32 and 64 bit systems.

So it wasn't the driver at all.

Øystein Norway
    • Marked as answer by ofnilsen Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:01 PM
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:01 PM

All replies

• Really you should go to Nvidia's site to find a newer driver. I'd expect this to be a driver bug

You could also try changing network adapter settings like flow control, offloading, etc

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Hey,

Here's the spec. page for your board:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1330

It looks like you Ethernet is: "10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Realtek® 8211BL"

The Drivers Page is here:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1330

Good luck,

dh

Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:03 AM
  • After I stopped trying to solve the problem via remote desktop I think I got closer to what might be the solution.  I hooked the keyboard and screen on to the server, ant then I read the error messages appearing on the blue screens showing up each time the server went down.  Two of the most common were:

• IRQL_NOT_SMALLER_OR EQUAL
    • INVALID_PAGE_FAULT
    • And one about memory....

I decided to check the memory status and downloaded Memtest (Pro Version) from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/.  I then burnt a bootable cd with the 32bit version and put it into the server and restarted it so that it booted from the CD.

• First the screen flooded over with error messages: clearly indicating something was wrong.
    • Then I shut down the server, removed one RAM-module and restarted it.
      No error messages after 100% search, so I shut the server down again.
    • I put the first RAM-module I had removed back in and removed the other before I restarted the server again.
      The screen now flowed over with error mesages again, but I wasn't sure if it was te RAM-module or the slot that was faulty, so I shut the server down again.
    • I removed the RAM-module that had given me trouble twice and then put in the good one again, this time in the slot that had not worked twice.  Then I restarted the server again.
      I left the test running the night over, and next day after running 1300% coverage test I shut the server down again.
    • Since I now had a working RAM-module and one that was clearly faulty I removed the memtest-CD from the drive and restarted the server with only one RAM-module.
      It now works as a clockwork and I have no problems at all.

I'm not sure if the memtest program could be downloadted and run under WHS OS.  But the PRO version gives you the oppurtunity to make bootable CD's for both 32 and 64 bit systems.

So it wasn't the driver at all.

Øystein Norway
    • Marked as answer by ofnilsen Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:01 PM
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:01 PM