Is there an easy way to move files to WHS other than copy paste? RRS feed

• Question

• I am completely new WHS and have not figured out how to transfer my media to the server other than locating it on my home network and then doing a copy/paste. Is there some other way to move these files to the server. Any help is appreciated
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:16 PM not hardware/installation related (Moved from Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation to Windows Home Server Software)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:04 PM

Answers

• Probably for a one-time operation, copy and paste or drag and drop will be the methods you'll want to use. If there isn't a lot of organization required, you can drag and drop entire folder trees; in this case you might be able to use a tool such as robocopy (built in to Vista). If you have to do a lot of reorganizing, copy and paste or drag and drop are a fact of life, I'm afraid.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:15 PM
  • If you have a lot of media then it is probably faster to install a hard drive with all of that media into WHS, but don't add it to the drive.  Then you could just copy over that way.  Since you are copy over a SATA interface (or IDE) it will likely be much faster which is an issue if you are talking TeraBytes of data.

Almost as good would be to use an external hard drive that you plug in to your WHS.

You can also copy it up remotely using the upload feature of WHS's web interface but that will be very slow.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:58 PM
  • You can also use Microsoft's SyncToy  especially if you want to keep copies elsewhere as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

I have all my music, pictures, work data, development stuff etc all on multiple machines as well as off site and use this quite a bit.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:56 PM
  • I install teracopy on all my windows machines.

This utility replaces the standard windows copy dialogue box.

The benefits are it give more accurate reporting of ETA until copy completes, and if the copy fails it gives you better error feedback.     When a windows copy completes the window just disappears so its kinda hard to know the operation was successful.

Another good thing is you can queue up a bunch of file copy operations from different source and target locations and it will do one at a time.    

And its free.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:17 PM
  • wayner9 said:

If you have a lot of media then it is probably faster to install a hard drive with all of that media into WHS, but don't add it to the drive.  Then you could just copy over that way.  Since you are copy over a SATA interface (or IDE) it will likely be much faster which is an issue if you are talking TeraBytes of data.

Almost as good would be to use an external hard drive that you plug in to your WHS.

You can also copy it up remotely using the upload feature of WHS's web interface but that will be very slow.

A) This is unsupported (since it requires logging into the server desktop), however it does work providing B) you copy only to the network share path (do not copy to D:\shares).
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:34 PM

All replies

• Probably for a one-time operation, copy and paste or drag and drop will be the methods you'll want to use. If there isn't a lot of organization required, you can drag and drop entire folder trees; in this case you might be able to use a tool such as robocopy (built in to Vista). If you have to do a lot of reorganizing, copy and paste or drag and drop are a fact of life, I'm afraid.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:15 PM
  • If you have a lot of media then it is probably faster to install a hard drive with all of that media into WHS, but don't add it to the drive.  Then you could just copy over that way.  Since you are copy over a SATA interface (or IDE) it will likely be much faster which is an issue if you are talking TeraBytes of data.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:58 PM
  • You can also use Microsoft's SyncToy  especially if you want to keep copies elsewhere as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

I have all my music, pictures, work data, development stuff etc all on multiple machines as well as off site and use this quite a bit.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Thanks to everyone. Looks like there are a couple of ways I can go. I appreciate everyone's feedback
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:03 PM
  • I install teracopy on all my windows machines.

This utility replaces the standard windows copy dialogue box.

The benefits are it give more accurate reporting of ETA until copy completes, and if the copy fails it gives you better error feedback.     When a windows copy completes the window just disappears so its kinda hard to know the operation was successful.

Another good thing is you can queue up a bunch of file copy operations from different source and target locations and it will do one at a time.    

And its free.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:17 PM
  • wayner9 said:

If you have a lot of media then it is probably faster to install a hard drive with all of that media into WHS, but don't add it to the drive.  Then you could just copy over that way.  Since you are copy over a SATA interface (or IDE) it will likely be much faster which is an issue if you are talking TeraBytes of data.

A) This is unsupported (since it requires logging into the server desktop), however it does work providing B) you copy only to the network share path (do not copy to D:\shares).
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:34 PM