Internet Explorer 8 not working on Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows Home Server is really acting funny lately.   It has become so slow I can't do anything on it.   When I Remote Desktop Connection in, everything is really slow.   I noticed that my McAffee DAT file has not updated so I tried to go into my hotmail account to get my account info and it won't load hotmail at all.  I get a blank screen.   When I go to McAfee it just hangs.   I also noticed that my Carbonite status screen would not show me any update, so I tried to reinstall it and it just hangs.

Any Suggestions?
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:28 AM

All replies

• My Windows Home Server is really acting funny lately.   It has become so slow I can't do anything on it.   When I Remote Desktop Connection in, everything is really slow.   I noticed that my McAffee DAT file has not updated so I tried to go into my hotmail account to get my account info and it won't load hotmail at all.  I get a blank screen.   When I go to McAfee it just hangs.   I also noticed that my Carbonite status screen would not show me any update, so I tried to reinstall it and it just hangs.

Any Suggestions?
    First, installing any applications (and logging into the server desktop for that matter) is unsupported.

Having said that, have you tried running chkdsk /r on all of the drives in your server?  If not, please see the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:34 AM
  • Hi,

Even though Internet Explorer 8 is installed on your Windows Home Server you should avoid using it.  Internet Explorer will be running in a locked down mode and various functionality such as Javascript etc will be disabled by default - this will mean a lot of websites will fail to display or work as expected. 

If you want to gain a bit more functionality in your console without having to use the remote desktop then there is an Add-In called "Advanced Admin Console":
    http://www.home-server-addins.com/downloads

If you system is running slow I doubt it is due to Internet Explorer - if you open task manager, select the "processes" tab, check the "Show processes from all users" check box and then click the CPU listview column heading to sort the processes by CPU usage you should be able to see what process is taking up your CPU.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:25 AM