none
Adding a server name to the hosts file RRS feed

• Question

• We are running HPC R2 SP1 with clustered head nodes. I want to add entry to the host file for a file server that is on the private network for the cluster nodes to be able to input and output data from. So essentially i would like to see an entry like private.fileservername on headnodes and compute nodes for this file server

I found googling around that the following command is supposed to do that:

PS C:\Windows\System32> Set-HpcNetwork -PrivateDnsRegistrationType WithConnectionDnsSuffix

The problem is i have no example of this command being used anywhere. If the server name was serverA and the ip was 192.168.0.1 what should the command look like if i wanted to add a host record in the host file

thank you,

Friday, July 1, 2011 3:09 PM

Answers

• The command you mention is used when DNS server is around and you'd want your nodes to register. I think this is not what you wanted to do though.

If your file server has a static IP then the easiest way would be to update the hosts files yourself. You could use clusrun command to execute a command on all the nodes to append a line with the name-ip mapping something like clusrun echo "192.168.0.1 serverA" >> c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

• Marked as answer by Vega1x1 Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:44 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:09 PM