What's in it for you? A lot of hassle! RRS feed

• Question

• As a Paying Microsoft Customer I posted a message here a couple of days ago, asking why Microsoft sees fit to hassle their Paying Customers with not one but THREE validation processes:

1) the online registration procedure (said to be the answer against illegal Windows versions)

2) the 'Genuine Advantage' validation procedure

3) the WGA 'notifications' download KB905474 (a 'message center' mainly intended to pester non validated users to go buy a legit version of XP).

That message was deleted for some reason. Everyone hates a critic, right? Well, at least Microsoft apparently does.

I still have to get a real answer why Microsoft treats their Paying Customers like dirt. And I don't mean the generic replies like "
    Genuine users without SP2 will be notified that they should update to Service Pack 2" - consider me notified. I want to know why I'm being forced to install this KB905474 when I already have Auto Update to tell me SP2 is available.

I humored Microsoft and installed the '
    Genuine Advantage' to 'validate' the software I bought and paid for. So now it's validated, quelle surprise... Are they satisfied? No! I now need to install this wretched KB905474 'notifications'. Why? I'd sure like to know the REAL reason, but no-one here seems to be willing or able to tell me...

Meanwhile, the essential, critical security downloads no longer appear on my Auto Update! (Only
    KB905474 and SP2 appear). Fortunately I did check the Windows update site and downloaded the critical security updates from there, otherwise I would STILL be at risk! (And I urge everyone in my situation to do the same).

Why doesn't Auto Update notify me anymore about
    critical security updates? No-one here seems to be willing or able to tell me... (Other than the fact that "Microsoft 'soon' stops supporting Automatic Updates for Service Pack 1 users"). Why stop this facility for validated, Paying Customers? You guessed it: no-one here seems to be willing or able to tell me... And allegedly 'soon' is somewhere in October or November, so how come it already doesn't work anymore, approximately since I validated Windows? A coincidence? I have yet to get an answer...

Thus far I have not installed SP2 yet, because of numerous reports doing so may cause 3rd party software to stop running properly. (Several mayor corporations have not installed SP2 (yet) for this reason!).

NB: If Microsoft can assure me all 3rd party software will work fine with SP2 I will install it immediately. But Microsoft doesn't do that, they lay the blame at
    3rd party software developers: they say these 3rd parties will have to create updates to make sure their software will still function with the latest Microsoft concoction. If they don't, well, guess who will have to deal with it.... Not Microsoft of course... but You and Me, the Paying Customers!

What if I like my present configuration, and want - or need - to keep using the software I have, regardless how 'old' it may be? Why can't I just keep using the software I PAID FOR, and just keep that secure and running? Why can't I just get the essential, critical updates? Why am I time and again forced to download and install updates and 'service packs' I don't want?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I do understand the fact that Microsoft wants to counter piracy, but I do NOT understand that this is done over the backs of their paying customers.

Apparently Microsoft just cares about making money, and does not give a damn about their customers, as long as they keep paying. Well, guess what, I’m thinking hard towards Apple for my next notebook. (Something I probably should have done when I bought this one). Maybe the folks at Apple do care...

Meanwhile I urge every lawyer out there to check the legitimacy of this monopolistic and dictatorial behavior of Microsoft. After all, shouldn’t we be allowed to keep the software running that we bought and paid for, without later on being forced into things we don't want...? In my book the essential updates should be available to ANY paying customer, regardless of service packs or 'notification software' they come up with as an afterthought. After all, the essential updates are
    usually patches or fixes for software leaks, and therefore repairs of (flawed) software, rather than a service we should be grateful for.

Genuine Advantage? Well, maybe for Microsoft, as they no doubt expect to cash in on people who are unable to validate their Windows version for one reason or another. Good for them, but where’s OUR Genuine Advantage? I have yet to see ONE serious legitimate example where WE - the Paying Customers - get to benefit…

So far it’s only costing me valuable disk space, time and effort, and it’s bringing aggravation. What’s in it for me…? One more thing I’m dying to hear…

Sven

Saturday, June 17, 2006 6:38 PM

Answers

• Automatic updates, unfortunately, cannot update users to SP2 automatically (users with XP SP1 and RTM).

The WGA Notifications tool is there to notify users that may be outdated, especially when Automatic updates stops SP1/RTM service soon. (RTM is already halted).

-phil liu

Monday, June 19, 2006 2:38 AM

All replies

•  S8 wrote:

>SNIP<

Thus far I have not installed SP2 yet, because of numerous reports doing so may cause 3rd party software to stop running properly. (Several mayor corporations have not installed SP2 (yet) for this reason!).

NB: If Microsoft can assure me all 3rd party software will work fine with SP2 I will install it immediately. But Microsoft doesn't do that, they lay the blame at
    3rd party software developers: they say these 3rd parties will have to create updates to make sure their software will still function with the latest Microsoft concoction. If they don't, well, guess who will have to deal with it.... Not Microsoft of course... but You and Me, the Paying Customers!
    >SNIP<

Sven

Have you checked at the support pages of the software you are concerned about to see if they are compatible with SP2?

Monday, June 19, 2006 12:28 AM
  • Automatic updates, unfortunately, cannot update users to SP2 automatically (users with XP SP1 and RTM).

The WGA Notifications tool is there to notify users that may be outdated, especially when Automatic updates stops SP1/RTM service soon. (RTM is already halted).

-phil liu

Monday, June 19, 2006 2:38 AM