Password synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• I feel like an idiot. I can't get password synch to work.

I set up accounts on the server with different passwords from identically-named accounts on a Windows XP Pro machine. I change a password on the server and don't see any notification about synching with the client(s). I change a password on the client and don't see any notification to synch with the server. I add new users to the server and to the client, with passwords that don't match. No synch notification.

What am I doing wrong?
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:34 PM

Answers

• On a machine where you know that the passwords are not sync'ed right click on the WHS icon in the tray and click Update Password. That will let you sync the passwords.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 6:52 PM
  • Actually, Woody, unless you have notifications turned off, I think you should see a pop-up if the local password for your account and the password on WHS don't match.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 3:22 PM
  • Ken is right with one correction. You will not see warnings on domain-joined clients. If you see a different behavior please give more details - what build, how it is manifested, etc. Thanks!
    Monday, June 18, 2007 3:50 PM
  • Hi Ken, Michael -

I'm not seeing a popup. It's possible that it's being masked, though, because I'm running in "Critical" state - I need to add another drive, but don't want to until I get to that part of the book!

Let me get the additional storage added and I'll let you know if the popup appears.

Thanks.

- Woody
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:21 AM

All replies

• On a machine where you know that the passwords are not sync'ed right click on the WHS icon in the tray and click Update Password. That will let you sync the passwords.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 6:52 PM
  • Tom -

Thanks.

So there is no automatic synchronization. A user who logs on to a home computer has to know that they're supposed to right-click on the WHS icon and choose Update Password. (If the passwords are synched, the option appears grayed-out.)

If they choose to update their password, they're given the option of changing the server password to match the local password or vice-versa. But they have to provide both the local password and the server password in order to make the change.

Once changed, the modification doesn't propagate to other machines: the user has to log on to a different machine and know that they're supposed to right-click the WHS icon.

Interesting.

Appreciate your help!

- Woody
    Monday, June 18, 2007 1:44 PM
  • Actually, Woody, unless you have notifications turned off, I think you should see a pop-up if the local password for your account and the password on WHS don't match.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 3:22 PM
  • Ken is right with one correction. You will not see warnings on domain-joined clients. If you see a different behavior please give more details - what build, how it is manifested, etc. Thanks!
    Monday, June 18, 2007 3:50 PM
  • Hi Ken, Michael -

I'm not seeing a popup. It's possible that it's being masked, though, because I'm running in "Critical" state - I need to add another drive, but don't want to until I get to that part of the book!

Let me get the additional storage added and I'll let you know if the popup appears.

Thanks.

- Woody
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:21 AM
  • Confirming that I do see a popup in the notification area saying the password is not in synch, after I (finally) installed enough hard drive space to back up all the machines on the network.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:22 PM