Server Restore only restores duplicated content? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running Windows Home Server inside Hyper-V and I've decided to remove Hyper-V and install WHS standalone.

However, when I start the WHS installation disc it automatically chooses "Server Restore" and it says:

"IMPORTANT: Your installed programs, settings, Computer Backups, and unduplicated Shared Folder content will be lost."

...and underneath that message:

"Restoring your Windows Home Server will recover duplicated Shared Folder content."

Does this mean if I procede with the restore it will remove all unduplicated content?  I had 90% of my 3 TB unduplicated so if it erases that it would be a very, very bad thing.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:31 AM

Answers

• You should lose no data, as long as all the drives that Windows Home Server was using are visible during setup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vinlaen Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:43 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:37 PM
  • A server reinstallation will not delete any data, as Ken already said.
    But a server reinstallation is also the option, if your system disk failed and had to be replaced with another harddrive. This affects the DATA volume on the disk, which could contain unduplicated content of shared folders or parts of the backup database.
    So the warning tells you that fact, since it does not distinguish between the different potential reinstall situations.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Ok, I think I understand what you're saying.

However, since my system disk is actually fine and I'm re-installing to it, will it detect it's DATA partition and use it?  (therefore I shouldn't lose ANY data)

That's correct.

I can understand if I installed a new hard drive that whatever was on that hard drive unduplicated would have been lost.  I also don't care about computer backups since I never use them...

• Marked as answer by Vinlaen Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:44 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:47 AM

All replies

• You should lose no data, as long as all the drives that Windows Home Server was using are visible during setup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:37 PM
  • A server reinstallation will not delete any data, as Ken already said.
    But a server reinstallation is also the option, if your system disk failed and had to be replaced with another harddrive. This affects the DATA volume on the disk, which could contain unduplicated content of shared folders or parts of the backup database.
    So the warning tells you that fact, since it does not distinguish between the different potential reinstall situations.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:31 PM

However, since my system disk is actually fine and I'm re-installing to it, will it detect it's DATA partition and use it?  (therefore I shouldn't lose ANY data)

I can understand if I installed a new hard drive that whatever was on that hard drive unduplicated would have been lost.  I also don't care about computer backups since I never use them...

Friday, August 14, 2009 10:53 PM

That's correct.

• Marked as answer by Vinlaen Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:44 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:47 AM