Backup / need to make full backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I tried to delete all the backup WHS did of my PCs. It cleaned up all the different backup.

But at the next automatic backup, It just seems to have made an incremental backup and when i try to restore files I get an error...

Can I remake a full backup? I think it's probably dangerous to let a final user do this, if WHS didn't make a full backup after.

LEB

Saturday, April 14, 2007 10:18 AM

Answers

• Sounds like a bug to me. User should be able to mark all existing backups for deletion at next clean up, run cleanup Now, do another backup, and be able to restore the backup. If this is not working, please file connect bug. We need to fix it!
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:07 AM

All replies

• Exactly how did you try to "clean up" the backups? With the WHS Console interface? Or by removing files?
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:05 PM
  • I did it with the WHS console interface, in the back up section I click deleted at the next clean up for all the backup and I click clean up now in the options.

I think it's a big security problem if you are able to delete your backup and if WHS doesnt rebuild it at its next automatic backup...

and i notice that when my PCs weren't backup anymore in the console, it didn't get a security alert by WHS

Is it helpful?

LEB

Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:12 PM
  •  louisetienneb wrote:

Hello,

I tried to delete all the backup WHS did of my PCs. It cleaned up all the different backup.

But at the next automatic backup, It just seems to have made an incremental backup and when i try to restore files I get an error...

Can I remake a full backup? I think it's probably dangerous to let a final user do this, if WHS didn't make a full backup after.

LEB

You can recreate a full backup by going to the client and right clicking on the connector tray icon and clicking Backup now. That will do a full backup and all incrementals from here on will be attached to that backup. I am going to suggest that you clean out all old backups first and then create the new backup.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 11:26 PM
  • I test it... It doesn't work. the backup scan the clusters which change but when it finished and i try to open the backup I just made, there is a lot of files i can't open.

LEB

Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:53 AM
  • The next thing to try is to remove the client PC from WHS by uninstalling the connector and using the information in this bug on Connect to remove the computer on WHS. Then re-install the connector, reconnect to WHS and try running a backup.
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 12:27 PM
  • Sounds like a bug to me. User should be able to mark all existing backups for deletion at next clean up, run cleanup Now, do another backup, and be able to restore the backup. If this is not working, please file connect bug. We need to fix it!
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

I'm ok, for me it's a bug and a strong security issue.

I report the bug:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=271309

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 8:50 AM