Request for activation on an already activated laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I am very desperate. I switched on my laptop this morning, only to be greeted with a screen saying my OS had to be activated. I bought the laptop in November 2006 with XP Media Center pre-installed. I have used Genuine Advantage to validate my OS on countless ocassions to install updates and obtain Devekoper downloads. What could be the problem, how can an OS suddenly switch off?

• I attempted activation over the Internet, but did not have the COA to hand as it is worn out.
    • I opted to activate by phone.
    • I went through the activation process and was asked to enter a long number.
    • The number was entered and was informed that the issue might be fixed by changing my install number.
    • Again, I had to enter the original from the sticker which as I said earlier is worn out.
    • I was asked to enter "1" if I did not have the COA number to hand and wanted to speak to a rep.
    • Instead of a rep coming on, there was a long beep and the phone went silent. I waited for some minutes but nothing happened.

Now I am in a bind as time critical data, development work and other data is stored on that laptop and I stand to lose a lot oof money.

I have the receipt for the laptop and can provide all its details.

I can get back my files by using a portable version of linux to explore the drives, bus is there no way to get around this without being tossed around between software vendor and hardware manufacturer and having to resort to messing about with recovery with another OS? I am quite frustrated.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hello Nuggetz,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center. I understand you were having issues with the activation by telephone, may I suggest attempting the phone activation again to see if the issue was just a random occurrence.  If you are unable to reach the telephone activation center I would contact the manufacturer of your laptop to see if they would be able to provide you with any assistance on activating Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 Please post again if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:20 PM

All replies

• Nuggetz,

What is the make and model of laptop?

What kind of Recovery or OS Reinstallation solution came with the laptop?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:02 PM
  • Hello Nuggetz,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center. I understand you were having issues with the activation by telephone, may I suggest attempting the phone activation again to see if the issue was just a random occurrence.  If you are unable to reach the telephone activation center I would contact the manufacturer of your laptop to see if they would be able to provide you with any assistance on activating Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 Please post again if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:20 PM