Activation of Trial, purchase, and what to do after eval is over. RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded a trial version of WHS thinking it was for 120 days but after install it says I only have 30 days. I didn't get any activiation key so not sure how to activate for the 120 days. I also would like to purchase but I can't seem to find where to purchase. And after eval is over and I don't purchase, do I just delete the WHS server connectors on my computers? Thanks
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:31 AM

Answers

• I downloaded a trial version of WHS thinking it was for 120 days but after install it says I only have 30 days. I didn't get any activiation key so not sure how to activate for the 120 days.

You need to request a key from Microsoft through Connect for the full 120 day eval.

I also would like to purchase but I can't seem to find where to purchase. And after eval is over and I don't purchase, do I just delete the WHS server connectors on my computers? Thanks

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by gkdave Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:57 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:30 AM

All replies

• gkdave,

After the evaluation is over you will need to purchase a retail version of WHS to be genuine and to get the needed updates. If you did not receive a valid product key you will only have 30 days of use instead of the evaluation period of 120 days. Windows Home Server can be purchased at online retailers such as newegg or Amazon. I got mine at Amazon for around $100. Well worth it. Boot from the new disk and choose the Server Reinstall NOT Clean Install option. Dont forget to input your NEW product key as well during this time. That will make a difference! This option will leave all of your shares intact. I found that I needed to reinstall any add-ons that I had on the machine, reconfigure the website name and add the users back in. All in all it took me about 20 minutes to get it reconfigured after the reinstall.

You can delete the connector software if you choose not to use the WHS any longer. You can accomplish that the same way as uninstalling any other software on your computer in Add/Remove Programs.

If you have any other questions just replay and I will try to answer. Let me know if this helps.

J
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:48 AM
  • I downloaded a trial version of WHS thinking it was for 120 days but after install it says I only have 30 days. I didn't get any activiation key so not sure how to activate for the 120 days.

You need to request a key from Microsoft through Connect for the full 120 day eval.

I also would like to purchase but I can't seem to find where to purchase. And after eval is over and I don't purchase, do I just delete the WHS server connectors on my computers? Thanks

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by gkdave Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:57 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.. I will be searching Newegg I guess. I do like it. I was trying to go the free route with Ubuntu Server but was having lots of problems. Thanks again..
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:47 PM
  • When you decide to purchase the unrestricted version, you'll need to follow the procedure in this FAQ post to upgrade from your evaluation software.

If you decide not to purchase, yes you uninstall the connector on any home computers you put it on.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:56 PM