Problem with Email tracking in CRM v4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Community,

We have CRM v4.0 with RU 15 installed.

We have problem with the email tracking for the below scenario;

we track the incoming emails for the 'Contact-1'. This contact is associated with the 'Account-1' and the 'Email-1' is sent to this 'Account-1'. But the same 'Contact-1' is also associated with another 'Account-2' which is a complete different Company. We found the same 'Email-1' is send to 'Account-2' as well.

We validated out email tracking/smart matching configurations everything seems ok.

We would like to know whether this is the CRM v4.0 functionality or some problem.

Appreciate if you share your experience on this ?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:08 AM

Answers

• I see,

So you have two accounts under the same contact, both are using the same email address.

as far as I know, this behaviour is by design because of the way the email handling in CRM works.

Are you familiar with the outlook client? so you probably know that there are two buttons for manual email tracking - "Track in CRM" and "set regarding".

this is because "track in CRM" only puts the email into the database, and "set regarding" is associating it to an account.

What you are encountering is the same thing, your email gets inserted into the database, and the business logic is associating it to the email address it sees in the "to" field.

And thats why you see it under both the accounts.

• Proposed as answer by Assaf Lev Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kanhu Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Kanhu,

I am finding it hard to understand what exactly you are asking.

If you mean that you incoming emails are being tracked on two differrent organizations, than just change to email token in one of the companies from "CRM" to "Companyname" or whatever token name you like, and that should solve your problem.

If you problem is other than that, I would like you to re-explain what you need in order for frther help with this.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Assaf,

Thanks for your Reply.

We have a single organization.  i am rephrasing the issue;

we track the incoming emails for the 'Contact-1'. This is associated with the 'Account-1' and the 'Email-1' is sent to this 'Account-1'. But the same 'Contact-1' is also associated with another 'Account-2' which is different account. 'Account-1' and 'Account-2' doesn't hav any relation. The same 'Email-1' is been tracked in both the Accounts in CRM.

Contact-1 -> Account-1 -> Email-1

Contact-1 -> Account-2 -> Email-1

As the Contact-1 is associated with two Accounts. We feel the email should not be tracked in both the accounts. Plsease provide your expert advise.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:42 AM
  • I see,

So you have two accounts under the same contact, both are using the same email address.

as far as I know, this behaviour is by design because of the way the email handling in CRM works.

Are you familiar with the outlook client? so you probably know that there are two buttons for manual email tracking - "Track in CRM" and "set regarding".

this is because "track in CRM" only puts the email into the database, and "set regarding" is associating it to an account.

What you are encountering is the same thing, your email gets inserted into the database, and the business logic is associating it to the email address it sees in the "to" field.

And thats why you see it under both the accounts.

• Proposed as answer by Assaf Lev Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kanhu Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:14 PM