re: Managing Security info

• Recommendation: make it easier to manage security information.

According to multiple other users in the MS forum, there is a common problem with the security controls.
    The problem I am having is that I named my old PC as a "Trusted PC" in my hotmail account, then reformatted, and renamed it (host name changed). When I go to enter a Trusted Cell phone#, or Trusted alternate email, or another Trusted PC, I can't confirm them. When I go to do that, I get the msg "Follow the confirmation instructions we sent to your existing security info or click confirm below".
    What is 'existing security info'?

I have renamed my computer to the original name, but when I click confirm, it tells me that I need to log in from the trusted computer...which is where I am logging into hotmail from.

I have many friends, and some have suggested that I move to google or yahoo. I have had my hotmail account since 99, and don't want to move, but this is an unsatisfactory security breach. If I am locked out, I have no way to recover my account.

I need to have a patch, or a fix of some kind, rather soon, or I will be forced to move my account.

Any solid help would be appreciated.

P.S. those other posts were written in the Nov - Dec 11 is 8 March, 2012.

It will be interesting to see how long MS allows this 'programming error'

Friday, March 09, 2012 1:32 AM