none
Server currently running, how do i make the reinstall process as smooth as possible? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS box is currently running fine, however there are some problems with the install and I need to reinstall it, and there is no reinstall option in the setup. I have plenty of data and backups which i need to keep, and the method I've seen floated around here is to copy the data back into the shares manually - this doesn't keep backups as well does it?

I'd like to know what I can do right now to make the reinstall process run as smoothly as possible, without any random hacks or anything, and with preserving the backups of the PC's on my network. The primary motive for this is that one of the PC's on the network is dead, and requires a restore however the server has the network problem, and so I'm trying to reinstall it.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:32 AM

All replies

• My WHS box is currently running fine, however there are some problems with the install and I need to reinstall it, and there is no reinstall option in the setup. I have plenty of data and backups which i need to keep, and the method I've seen floated around here is to copy the data back into the shares manually - this doesn't keep backups as well does it?

No, but you can backup your backup database manually.  See the Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief for more info.  (Also, there is an add-in that has the same functionality.)

I'd like to know what I can do right now to make the reinstall process run as smoothly as possible, without any random hacks or anything, and with preserving the backups of the PC's on my network. The primary motive for this is that one of the PC's on the network is dead, and requires a restore however the server has the network problem, and so I'm trying to reinstall it.

Instead of trying to reinstall the OS, why don't you explain your network problem?  You might not have to reinstall your server OS.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:00 AM