slow performance, regular errors on first login RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a relatively new user who installed WHS about a month ago.  Since that time I've experienced a constantly and disappointingly slow performance from my server.  I have a constant set of hardware errors when I log into the server after a restart.  My two drives are both incredibly fragmented.  My componentry is new and not too slow; can anybody offer me suggestions on improving performance?  I'd like to get the WHS RC working a bit more smoothly before I consider shelling out for the OEM software.

I was particularly struck today by the latest WHS blog entry: backing a recently-backed up Mac laptop took only 4 minutes!  Backup of my desktop computer over a 100 Mbit wired connection takes an hour at minimum even when there have been few or no changes on the computer.  From what I have read, the performance of this hardware should not be as slow as it is.  Data access from other computers on the network is passable, but WHS console/RDP/VNC connections to the server are very slow, with the console especially taking > 1 min to connect and display.

My server hardware is as follows:
    ECS 661FX-M motherboard (SiS661FX chipset)
    P4 2.6 GHz processor
    512 Mb RAM
    new PSU
    system drive is 160 Gb ATA
    additional drive is 400 Gb SATA (internal)

I'm not quite used to the behavior of RDP sessions so I'm using TightVNC to access the server directly from other computers on the network.  When I log into the server manually either through TightVNC or through direct KVM connection, I always see a series of two or more "serious system errors".  The event log shows these as the following error codes:

most recent instance of the errors: (this group of 4 in order from older to newer)
    Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.
    Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.
    Error code 0000000a, parameter1 ffbe0000, parameter2 d0000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 808278bb.
    Error code 00000050, parameter1 f191e1e8, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 80924b57, parameter4 00000002.

another instance of the errors: (this group of 3 in order from older to newer)
    Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 f7727fe0, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.
    Error code 0000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

I've tried to look up more information on these errors to determine their cause.  I suspect they may result from a hardware incompatibility, perhaps with the SiS chipset in my motherboard?

What can I do to further investigate these errors?  How can I get my system to perform "better", or to get a quantitative handle on what's going on in my box?  Any advice would be helpful.  Thank you!
    Friday, August 17, 2007 10:15 AM

Answers

• Your 7f errors are almost always caused by a hardware problem. Here's a Microsoft Support article that deals with common causes of 7f errors. There are some possible software causes, too, but hardware is much more likely.

You're going to have to do some analysis to determine which component is the source of your problem. I would start with the memory, and run an 8+ hour test with MemTest86. (There's a free .ISO download available off the main menu.) That will tell you if there's a problem with the memory modules or the memory controller in the chipset.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 11:57 AM
  • The "INSERT SYSTEM DISK" error resolved itself when I realized my own error and swapped the boot order of my hard drives.

I can report an increase in performance (faster backups, less pointless drive spinning) resulting from the aforementioned BIOS flash.  For anyone else in a similar boat - my ECS 661FX-M motherboard was received new running a newer BIOS version that that available on the ECS website.  I found this quite suspicious.  I flashed it with the newest ECS version which turned out to be a year OLDER than the BIOS I originally found on the board.

Regardless of the dates, I'm more comfortable now using a BIOS sanctioned by the manufacturer and my hard drive-related performance problems seem to be much improved.

Now to start saving my pennies for the WHS OEM software, now available here in New Zealand...only NZ$275!

Thanks for your assistance!
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:55 PM

All replies

• Your 7f errors are almost always caused by a hardware problem. Here's a Microsoft Support article that deals with common causes of 7f errors. There are some possible software causes, too, but hardware is much more likely.

You're going to have to do some analysis to determine which component is the source of your problem. I would start with the memory, and run an 8+ hour test with MemTest86. (There's a free .ISO download available off the main menu.) That will tell you if there's a problem with the memory modules or the memory controller in the chipset.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 11:57 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Ken.  I've looked into the article you suggested, and I've run memory and CPU tests and passed all of them.  I flashed my BIOS to see whether some malfunction in my existing BIOS could have led to hard drive performance problems, but that's only led me to the dreaded "INSERT SYSTEM DISK" error (as described here).  Once I get past the BIOS and booting issues I hope to see whether the new BIOS has improved things.
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 11:55 PM
  • The "INSERT SYSTEM DISK" error resolved itself when I realized my own error and swapped the boot order of my hard drives.

I can report an increase in performance (faster backups, less pointless drive spinning) resulting from the aforementioned BIOS flash.  For anyone else in a similar boat - my ECS 661FX-M motherboard was received new running a newer BIOS version that that available on the ECS website.  I found this quite suspicious.  I flashed it with the newest ECS version which turned out to be a year OLDER than the BIOS I originally found on the board.

Regardless of the dates, I'm more comfortable now using a BIOS sanctioned by the manufacturer and my hard drive-related performance problems seem to be much improved.

Now to start saving my pennies for the WHS OEM software, now available here in New Zealand...only NZ$275!

Thanks for your assistance!
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:55 PM