Windows Build 6001 carry over RRS feed

• Question

• I use a Toshiba Satellite laptop with windows vista installed. This worked fine for over a year. Recently, I got a message telling me my Windows was not genuine and that I would have to activate it. Apart from just needing to activate windows certain things seem as if they had been uninstalled. For example it thinks its running with service pack 1 and microsoft office wants me to re-install it as if I had never used it before. Further my start menu has seen many of the programs off the main list drop off leaving only a few folders, some of which are now also empty. Also it will now not automatically connect to networks, despite me checking the box when connecting manually for this to happen.

To fix this I tried to put in my activation code which all went fine with the validation however all this did was get rid of the genuine windows message and leave all the other issues behind.

I have rebooted a number of times and this has not fixed anything.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:08 PM

Answers

• "Crickok" wrote in message news:f15fa4c3-a2b5-4101-b3f7-d11829302763...

I use a Toshiba Satellite laptop with windows vista installed. This worked fine for over a year. Recently, I got a message telling me my Windows was not genuine and that I would have to activate it. Apart from just needing to activate windows certain things seem as if they had been uninstalled. For example it thinks its running with service pack 1 and microsoft office wants me to re-install it as if I had never used it before. Further my start menu has seen many of the programs off the main list drop off leaving only a few folders, some of which are now also empty. Also it will now not automatically connect to networks, despite me checking the box when connecting manually for this to happen.

To fix this I tried to put in my activation code which all went fine with the validation however all this did was get rid of the genuine windows message and leave all the other issues behind.

I have rebooted a number of times and this has not fixed anything.

This sounds as if you have a severe malware infestation - please repost your problems in the Vista Repair Answers forum, as it seems that you no longer have any issues with Activation or Validation.

Backing up your data to external storage should be your first priority, as I suspect that you will need to do a clean reinstall.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:02 PM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:38 PM