Seamless HD install - too seamless if you ask me... RRS feed

• Question

• So here I sit with WHS happily humming along, faithfully backing up my laptops and gradually filling up space on the 2 ATA drives I've got installed, when I'm rummaging about in my goodie box and come up with the Maxtor SATA-150 PCI controller card I got with a 160 MB ATA drive I bought last year at Costmart.  Hmmm, what to do, what to do?  I d/l'd the drivers and installed the controller without problems.  This forced me, of course, to find a SATA drive to connect to it.  $179 and some hardware swaps later, a 500 GB SATA-300 drive sits happily assimilated into the Data drive.  The problem (if it is one):  it took less than 5 minutes for WHS to assimilate the drive.  My question:  did WHS partition and format the drive?  It says the drive has been added.  Computer Management shows an active NTFS drive.  But it didn't seem to do a long, standard NTFS format job on the drive.  Should I be worried?  Should I remove it from the Data drive and manually format it, then return it to the array? 

The more I use this product, the happier I am with it.  Looks like a winner so far!

Sunday, March 25, 2007 1:55 AM

Answers

• (fixing the font...)
     Technogeez wrote:

So here I sit with WHS happily humming along, faithfully backing up my laptops and gradually filling up space on the 2 ATA drives I've got installed, when I'm rummaging about in my goodie box and come up with the Maxtor SATA-150 PCI controller card I got with a 160 MB ATA drive I bought last year at Costmart.  Hmmm, what to do, what to do?  I d/l'd the drivers and installed the controller without problems.  This forced me, of course, to find a SATA drive to connect to it.  $179 and some hardware swaps later, a 500 GB SATA-300 drive sits happily assimilated into the Data drive.  The problem (if it is one):  it took less than 5 minutes for WHS to assimilate the drive.  My question:  did WHS partition and format the drive?  It says the drive has been added.  Computer Management shows an active NTFS drive.  But it didn't seem to do a long, standard NTFS format job on the drive.  Should I be worried?  Should I remove it from the Data drive and manually format it, then return it to the array? 

The more I use this product, the happier I am with it.  Looks like a winner so far!

No, there's nothing wrong with the drive. It takes Windows only a few minutes to do a quick format on an NTFS drive. See this Support article for more information.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 2:40 AM

All replies

• (fixing the font...)
     Technogeez wrote:

So here I sit with WHS happily humming along, faithfully backing up my laptops and gradually filling up space on the 2 ATA drives I've got installed, when I'm rummaging about in my goodie box and come up with the Maxtor SATA-150 PCI controller card I got with a 160 MB ATA drive I bought last year at Costmart.  Hmmm, what to do, what to do?  I d/l'd the drivers and installed the controller without problems.  This forced me, of course, to find a SATA drive to connect to it.  $179 and some hardware swaps later, a 500 GB SATA-300 drive sits happily assimilated into the Data drive.  The problem (if it is one):  it took less than 5 minutes for WHS to assimilate the drive.  My question:  did WHS partition and format the drive?  It says the drive has been added.  Computer Management shows an active NTFS drive.  But it didn't seem to do a long, standard NTFS format job on the drive.  Should I be worried?  Should I remove it from the Data drive and manually format it, then return it to the array? 

No, there's nothing wrong with the drive. It takes Windows only a few minutes to do a quick format on an NTFS drive. See this Support article for more information.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 2:40 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  It's a brand new drive right out of the box...according to the article, it should have been sector checked (and with the short time it took, that obviously didn't happen).  Has anyone run chkdsk /r on an assimilated drive?
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 2:55 AM
  • You should submit this as a suggestion on Connect.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:08 AM
  • Thanks, I did.  Later, I checked event viewer and noted that chkdsk is running about every 6 hours or so.  I assume the new drive is being checked along with the original two...do you know where the logs are being kept?
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 11:45 PM