none
Source Control Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new project (Xamarin Forms).  I was trying to add it to my TFS Source Control and clicked the wrong button and added it to Git instead.  Now I am trying to get rid of Git source control.  I delete the .git directory in my project folder, reopen the project, and it seems to be out of source control.  I go to tools, options, source control and switch to TFS.  Then when I "add to source control" is adds it back to Git.  I can't seem to get around this.  I am using VS Community 2017.  TFS Express 2015.

All the articles related to this I have seen are for VS 2015, and the instructions don't match my setup.  I also tried the registry fix (found in another article) but again, the articles don't match my setup.

AlessiJax

Monday, April 16, 2018 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Add TFVC repositories in your team project, from the admin context of the web portal, you can add additional repositories to a team project.

After this, have a look at the following steps:

1.Connect to that new TFVC Team Project and create a local workspace.

2.Create the folder structure you need.

3.Copy the files from the Git repo (except .git) to this location.

4.Open the solution and right click on it and select "add to source control"

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:28 AM
  • My screen doesn't look like this.  When I log in I get second screen.  Then I click Administer and get first.  I am logged in as admin and I think I have all capabilities enabled.  I see no way to add a collection.

AlessiJax

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:23 AM
  • You only stay at TFS level, you need to create a team project first:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/web-forms/overview/deployment/configuring-team-foundation-server-for-web-deployment/creating-a-team-project-in-tfs

Then you could add your repository in TFS.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:56 AM
  • I can't make this thing work.  I have created my team project, but it fails when adding solution to source control.  How do I remove this mapping?

This is a new project that has never been successfully under source control (other than git, by mistake).

AlessiJax

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:29 PM
  • According to the error message, the path has been already mapped, please specify a new path to check the result again.

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:38 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update about your issue?

If you still have problem about it, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Joyce

Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:14 AM
  • I basically gave up. I made the simple mistake of clicking the wrong button and as a result spend many,  many hours trying to fix it.  IMHO, the UI for this is totally stupid.  I am now working with git, though this is not really what I want.  I can find no way to successfully disconnect it, and reconnect to TFS.  Try it.  Create a new project, click the git button, and then try and undo and connect the project to TFS. 

I have been using TFS for years, and it runs on a server where i know where the backups are.  I never wanted git.  It was just "shoved in my face", and now I can't get rid of it.

AlessiJax

Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:44 PM
  • Sorry for that, you can also open a new case in stackoverflow to talk about it with TFS tag. This forum is discussing Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor. If you have problem about these, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Joyce

Friday, April 27, 2018 8:13 AM