Oracle express on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening everyone
        I've been running WHS for a while and I love it. After working with servers (both Linux and Windows) it's nice to come home and toy around with something that's so easy do work with. 
        I am in the process of studying for my Oracle OCP. I need to install Oracle Express as part of the curriculum. I searched the forum and the web to no avail. Has anyone installed Oracle Express on WHS? Any issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:49 AM

Answers

• I have installed SQL Server Express on WHS, but not Oracle. The concepts are similar, however. You will probably want to keep database files off of the C: partition, as they can grow very large and consume all the free space on that partition. And you will need to keep them out of your server's shares, because database applications typically keep their data files open as long as they're running, and this will cause WHS to throw network health warnings. Best practice would be to put your databases on a drive dedicated to that purpose.

But honestly, if you only want to install Oracle Express to pursue a certification, I'm pretty sure you can install it on your desktop rather than WHS (where it's an unsupported use of your server).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by nwgray Saturday, December 6, 2008 2:31 AM
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:54 AM

All replies

• I have installed SQL Server Express on WHS, but not Oracle. The concepts are similar, however. You will probably want to keep database files off of the C: partition, as they can grow very large and consume all the free space on that partition. And you will need to keep them out of your server's shares, because database applications typically keep their data files open as long as they're running, and this will cause WHS to throw network health warnings. Best practice would be to put your databases on a drive dedicated to that purpose.

But honestly, if you only want to install Oracle Express to pursue a certification, I'm pretty sure you can install it on your desktop rather than WHS (where it's an unsupported use of your server).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by nwgray Saturday, December 6, 2008 2:31 AM
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:54 AM
  •  Ken
        Thanks for the reply. I agree with you in that I'll probably just put it on my desktop.

Saturday, December 6, 2008 2:33 AM