Reinstalling WHS errors RRS feed

• Question

• Okay I dl'd the trial 7 days ago. Installed it, everything was going great. Started to copy my files over. All 600gbs complete. Just in time too as my freenas server just pooped out.

However today, I got an activation request. I put in the 120 day eval key. No problems. It activates. Then the console stopped working. I give it a reboot. Now it's telling my my time trial has expired. Problem is I don't want to purchase a copy of the software right now as I'm still testing it. It won't let me reinstall the eval.

I have a total of 4 drives. 1 sys, and the rest have my files on it. Would I be able to do a fresh install of the eval after taking the drives off? Then re-add the drives without losing my data?

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    once the trial is activated and the timebomb triggered, the chances are not good to go on with the same trial key even with a reinstallation. Maybe you can get a different trial key.
    Did you change the time or time zone of the server after installation?
    The recommended method is to perform a server reinstall. In this special installation form the data should not be touched.

If this is not offered after booting from the WHS DVD, check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure and follow the steps outlined there to keep your files intact.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:55 AM