none
Restoring a Windows Home Server V1 backup to Windows Home Server 2011

Question

• It is possible to move data from Windows Home Server V1 to Windows Home Server 2011 using a backup that was created with Windows Home Server V1?

If so, how? If I try to add my backup drive from Windows Home Server V1, Windows Home Server 2011 threatens to reformat the drive and wipe out my backup.

• Edited by ameerg Sunday, July 17, 2011 7:56 PM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 7:36 PM

All replies

• No. The easiest way is to attach your WHS1 drive to another computer (say in an external drive) and copy your data (not a backup) from there to your new WHS2011 machine via your network.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:59 PM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:27 PM
  • No, you can't "restore" a V1 backup to Windows Home Server 2011. However, if you connect the drive (to your server or another computer on your network), you can simply copy everything from the most recent backup to your server's shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Thanks to you both Philip and Ken.

I was hoping it will be easier than that. My WHS V1 server finally rolled over and died. I guess I have to:

1.       Revive the old V1 server

2.       Restore the backup on to the V1 server

3.       Copy all folders from the V1 server to another machine/drive

4.       Then copy from the other machine/drive to WHS 2011 machine

Whew!

I will look at the WHS2WHS tool to see if makes the move to 2011 easier.

AmeerG
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Ameer

Depends what failed, what your backup strategy was and whether you had data duplication switched on. If the latter and you have only had a single disk failure, all your data should still be there and can be easily copied to your new server by connecting each or your original working WHS disks to another PC (possibly using an USB disk enclosure) via your network.

So, it depends what failed on your original server as to whether it needs to be "Revived".

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Thanks to you both Philip and Ken.

I was hoping it will be easier than that. My WHS V1 server finally rolled over and died. I guess I have to:

1.       Revive the old V1 server

2.       Restore the backup on to the V1 server

3.       Copy all folders from the V1 server to another machine/drive

4.       Then copy from the other machine/drive to WHS 2011 machine

Whew!

I will look at the WHS2WHS tool to see if makes the move to 2011 easier.

AmeerG

If you have a backup (made via the console) from V1, do as I said: after you've installed V2, connect the drive (but do nothing else), then browse it using Windows Explorer. You'll find folders for each backup, so simply copy everything from the most recent backup. There's no need to revive your original server.

Or you can connect the backup drive to some other computer, browse to the most recent backup, and copy to the shares over your network.

Monday, July 18, 2011 7:45 PM
  • If you have a backup (made via the console) from V1, do as I said: after you've installed V2, connect the drive (but do nothing else), then browse it using Windows Explorer. You'll find folders for each backup, so simply copy everything from the most recent backup.

Ken may want to correct me on this if I am wrong, but I believe the WHS v1 backups are incremental, so that what you will likely see when you mount the server backup drive on a non-WHSv1 computer is a number of top-level folders having date-names (representing the dates that the server backups took place). To do a proper restore to your most recent shared folder images, you may have to aggregate the files out of several of these folder trees.

This is not particularly hard to do, just something to be aware of.

G

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:33 AM
  • If you have a backup (made via the console) from V1, do as I said: after you've installed V2, connect the drive (but do nothing else), then browse it using Windows Explorer. You'll find folders for each backup, so simply copy everything from the most recent backup.

Ken may want to correct me on this if I am wrong, but I believe the WHS v1 backups are incremental, so that what you will likely see when you mount the server backup drive on a non-WHSv1 computer is a number of top-level folders having date-names (representing the dates that the server backups took place). To do a proper restore to your most recent shared folder images, you may have to aggregate the files out of several of these folder trees.

This is not particularly hard to do, just something to be aware of.

G

While V1 backups are "incremental" in the sense that only changes from the last backup are backed up, in Explorer each backup will appear to be complete. This is because each backup uses hard links to files that haven't changed, rather than backing them up again.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:47 AM
  • While V1 backups are "incremental" in the sense that only changes from the last backup are backed up, in Explorer each backup will appear to be complete. This is because each backup uses hard links to files that haven't changed, rather than backing them up again.

Ah, thanks for the clarification Ken.

The only time I ever had to do this was for a recovery after an inadvertent disk format, and the recovery software didn't respect the hard links the same way Windows Explorer would.  This now makes more sense.

Regards,

G

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:04 AM
  • Hi. I have a similar question. I just got a copy of WHS 2011. I purchased a 3 TB external hard drive and backing up the WHS MediaSmart Server EX495 and I think I should be able to go install WHS 2011 and restore this Server Back up that I made from WHS Server V1 correct? If not what the heck is the product team thinking?

• Edited by Harish_MSDN Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:25 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Hi. I have a similar question. I just got a copy of WHS 2011. I purchased a 3 TB external hard drive and backing up the WHS MediaSmart Server EX495 and I think I should be able to go install WHS 2011 and restore this Server Back up that I made from WHS Server V1 correct? If not what the heck is the product team thinking?

Harish Pavithran

No, not directly - read this thread!

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Read this thread Phil, thanks but my question is around the back-up made to the WHS server it self, not client back-ups. Surely this should be not be something that Microsoft could have overlooked? I understand that I can take my back up drive and connect it to a client and then do a file copy. That really sounds very profoundly retarded way do things, a bad work around if not anything else. I can do this from Windows Vista to Windows 7 why cant I do this from one version of their Home Server OS to another?  This is a back-up solution to begin with and they dont support this? Does anyone else think this that something strange? The product is supposed to be for average home users.  Why would Microsoft not support their own WHS back-ups or at the very least provide some sort of file transfer wizard or tool to do things that they offer to consumer on their desktop OS!!! From reading your reply I think you are saying that the product does not support any back-ups from the old WHS, which is good information all the same, so thanks again for your response.  I am bracing for the pain of doing this via explorer. One other thought is leaving it as mapped drive to one of my clients and having the new WHS server discover and back up the entire machine.

• Edited by Harish_MSDN Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:25 AM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:11 AM
  • Use RichCopy
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/query/dd547088
    to copy your WHS v1 data backup to WHS2011.  It is almost (faster in a few instances) as fast as a WHS v1 data restore.  You also have the option to pause and resume with RichCopy.  RichCopy will copy files over the network or from a directly attached device.  RichCopy can be set to override the Read Only attribute also.  You will understand why this is important once you start to copy a WHS v1 data backup to another machine.  Try a few test runs and ensure you study the advanced options as they are very powerful.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : Read this thread Phil, thanks but my question is around the back-up made to the WHS server it self, not client back-ups. Surely this should be not be something that Microsoft could have overlooked? I understand that I can take my back up drive and connect it to a client and then do a file copy. That really sounds very profoundly retarded way do things, a bad work around if not anything else. I can do this from Windows Vista to Windows 7 why cant I do this from one version of their Home Server OS to another? This is a back-up solution to begin with and they dont support this? Does anyone else think this that something strange? The product is supposed to be for average home users. Why would Microsoft not support their own WHS back-ups or at the very least provide some sort of file transfer wizard or tool to do things that they offer to consumer on their desktop OS!!! From reading your reply I think you are saying that the product does not support any back-ups from the old WHS, which is good information all the same, so thanks again for your response. I am bracing for the pain of doing this via explorer. One other thought is leaving it as mapped drive to one of my clients and having the new WHS server discover and back up the entire machine.
    :
    : -- :
    :
    :
    :

BullDawg
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:16 AM
  • Thanks much BullDawg (like your name!!) I will try out RichCopy I just noticed that the backup of my whole server failed because of long file names and directory path. I think I may have to use rich copy to copy the actual files now to the ext drive at least for the eight failures that occurred.  

• Edited by Harish_MSDN Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:33 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Hi all,

I have the similar task to do, WHS to WHS 2011 but i can't understand the descriptons here, here is what i have:

WHS, has c drive (os), d drive which has all the data files in 3 folders

1- sdf3243lkjsdflkj (the name has characters and numbers, don't know what this is).

2- folders (has 3 other sub-folders all speciall charcters, the last one has files (.DAT) - i think these are the backups)

3- shares (my photos, music, videos, etc in whs).

i can copy everything from the d drive to another computer, what i don't understand, where do I mount the backup "drive" from whs in any other windows OS and see all the backup sets as it was illustrated here multiple times?

Thanks.

-SeaMan

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:33 PM