Where does Live Mesh get it's internet connection settings from? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Live Writer, Photo Gallery, Mail and Messenger on my Windows XP notebook a month ago. Now I wanted to install Live Mesh, and it turns out that only Messenger works, every other Live software complains that I'm not connected to the internet. I disabled everything that could be blocking the internet access of these, but I just can't get them to connect. I'm certain it is not a timeout problem, since I get a not connected message the moment I try to connect. Live Mesh won't even install after I downloaded and ran the installer.

I recently installed Fiddler, a packet sniffing software, that acts a software proxy. When it is active, it sets itself as the proxy in Internet Explorer settings. When it was active, nothing got connection, so I uninstalled it. IE returned to normal, every other software I have works as expected.

I'm suspecting that Fiddler rewrote some settings that it shouldn't have, and Live Mesh and the others are trying to connect based on those settings. Where should I look if I want to confirm or reset connection settings for Live products?
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 3:33 PM

Answers

• I uninstalled zone-alarm. Now I re-installed and everything is back to normal. I can allow internet access to applications again. I wonder what happens if I want to uninstall zone-alarm permanently. :/
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:43 PM

All replies

• I uninstalled zone-alarm. Now I re-installed and everything is back to normal. I can allow internet access to applications again. I wonder what happens if I want to uninstall zone-alarm permanently. :/
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:43 PM
  • I think that your issue was due solely to Zone Alarm. Many 3rd party firewalls can actually cause problems with connectivity due to the way that they expect the network stack to be and the changes that they make to it.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 9, 2009 5:24 PM