none
Does the patched version of MS Money 2005 UK/International (14.0.100.1105) work on Windows 8.1? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using MS Money since 1995 and currently have the patched 2005 UK/International version working fine on Windows 7. However, I am thinking of upgrading my computer to one running Windows 8.1.  In this regard Cal Learner states that "the latest available versions of Money (for which he very helpfully provides download links) run under Windows versions up to Windows 8" but notes that "there are continuing changes to the way Windows works... (and)... there is no certainty that newer 64-bit Windows will continue to run Money well or at all."  Can I therefore take it that the patched version of MS Money 2005 will in fact run on Windows 8.1 (as opposed to the earlier 8.0 release)?  Any help much appreciated.

An update...I belatedly noticed that Richard had posted a related query just a few hours earlier. Richard, have you now managed to get your Money 2005 (UK version?) working with Windows 8.1?
    • Edited by borty Sunday, March 29, 2015 12:41 AM
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 9:33 PM

Answers

• Money2005-UK-QFE2 works with Windows 8.1 x64 and x86 and Windows 10 x64 and x86 preview.

While some (small) technical change in any currently supported Windows version might stop Money working it is unlikely that this will happen. Money and many older programs are unsupported. This means that if they stop working no-one will fix them, but unless they use some obscure Windows function this is unlikely.

Current versions of Windows will not allow access to data of which the user has not taken ownership, nor will they allow access to data in protected areas. Newly attached external drives are not owned by default and Program Files is a protected area so Money data files in these areas will not be accessible by a Money user unless that user has changed the Security credentials. Money data files should always be in the user's Documents area.

• Marked as answer by borty Monday, March 30, 2015 7:06 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:26 AM

All replies

• Money2005-UK-QFE2 works with Windows 8.1 x64 and x86 and Windows 10 x64 and x86 preview.

While some (small) technical change in any currently supported Windows version might stop Money working it is unlikely that this will happen. Money and many older programs are unsupported. This means that if they stop working no-one will fix them, but unless they use some obscure Windows function this is unlikely.

Current versions of Windows will not allow access to data of which the user has not taken ownership, nor will they allow access to data in protected areas. Newly attached external drives are not owned by default and Program Files is a protected area so Money data files in these areas will not be accessible by a Money user unless that user has changed the Security credentials. Money data files should always be in the user's Documents area.

• Marked as answer by borty Monday, March 30, 2015 7:06 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:26 AM
  • Thank you so much Dominic, your reply is extremely helpful answering not only the specific question I asked but also providing important related information (para 3). I have a huge amount of data in Money files and it's such a relief that I should be able to continue using Money for some time yet.  So glad I found this forum!! 

• Edited by borty Monday, March 30, 2015 7:02 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2015 6:58 PM