Helpful Indicator RRS feed

• Question

• It would be quite 'useful' to have a 'Helpful' indicator or icon in the thread listings. Similar to the Has Code icon.
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 12:26 AM

Answers

• Arnie Rowland said:

But I can't see the 'Helpful' star unless I have the thread open.

It would be nice to be able to see which threads have been noted as 'helpful' without having to open each thread.

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

As I recall, 5 helpful votes marks the thread as helpful, and it'll show in the thread listing.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:55 AM
  • The helpful thread indicator is meant to communicate "this thread contains at least one helpful post". A helpful post is defined as having 5 or more helpful votes. In most cases these are likely answers that many users have found to be helpful.
    • Edited by Brent Serbus Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:51 AM Fixed typo
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Arnie Rowland said:

I see that the 'Helpful' star overrides the 'Has Code Block' icon.

We can live with that.

Yes we decided to limit the number of attribute icons we show on the threads page. The possible icons in the left most column are (In priority order):

1. locked
    2. sticky
    3. helpful
    4. has code

The 2nd column is the state of the thread, all possible ones are:

• "Unanswered Questions"
    • "Answered Question"
    • "Proposed Answer"
    • "General Discussion"

STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:53 PM

All replies

• there is one!
    Jeff
    Monday, February 18, 2008 5:36 AM
  • But I can't see the 'Helpful' star unless I have the thread open.

It would be nice to be able to see which threads have been noted as 'helpful' without having to open each thread.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:24 AM
  • Arnie Rowland said:

But I can't see the 'Helpful' star unless I have the thread open.

As I recall, 5 helpful votes marks the thread as helpful, and it'll show in the thread listing.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:55 AM
  • I would appreciate help in marking this thread as 'Helpful' so that the '5 vote' threshold is reached so we can see the GUI representation in the thread listing.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:01 AM
  • The helpful thread indicator is meant to communicate "this thread contains at least one helpful post". A helpful post is defined as having 5 or more helpful votes. In most cases these are likely answers that many users have found to be helpful.
    • Edited by Brent Serbus Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:51 AM Fixed typo
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Thanks Brent.

I just needed to see it.
    1 So What is displayed
    2 When a Thread is
    3 Helpful (and)
    4 Has Code block
    • Edited by Arnie RowlandMVP Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:20 AM Added Code Block
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:18 AM
  • I see that the 'Helpful' star overrides the 'Has Code Block' icon.

We can live with that.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:21 AM
  • Arnie Rowland said:

I see that the 'Helpful' star overrides the 'Has Code Block' icon.

We can live with that.

Yes we decided to limit the number of attribute icons we show on the threads page. The possible icons in the left most column are (In priority order):

1. locked
    2. sticky
    3. helpful
    4. has code

The 2nd column is the state of the thread, all possible ones are:

• "Unanswered Questions"
    • "Answered Question"
    • "Proposed Answer"
    • "General Discussion"

STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Excellent information Sam.

Would you see that it gets put in the FAQ.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:13 PM
  • Good point, thanks Arnie, we'll get it added.
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:52 PM