At Least Two Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Why, does it state in the Windows Home Server - System Requirements that at least two hard drives are recommended? Is there some kind of mirroring going on? I mean why would 2 - 500Gig be better than 1 Tera HD? I'm not a user yet. I have ordered the disks for the free 120 trial. Just want to have my hardware in order. Thanks
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Jack,
    there is a feature for the Shared folders, called Folder duplication.
    This will work somewhat similar like RAID1, but only mirror the files in the selected folders instead of entire volumes. So if a harddisk breaks, at least a copy of these files still survives that crash on the other disk.
    Also with Power Pack 1 installed Windows Home Server tries to keep the D: drive (which is the data partition on the primary disk) mostly free. This means, the PC backups will be directed to the second disk, as long as there is enough space. This is also beneficial for the performance.
    If it makes sense at all, still to invest into 500 GB disks (2 disks yes, but 1 TB for both would be the better choice, or at least 1 TB for the secondary drive), is questionable. It may depend on the number of clients you wish to save with WHS and their data amount. Also if you wish to share a lot of Multimedia files or high resolution fotos disk space will go down relatively fast.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:13 AM