Help please? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there all

previous post...

Greetings all,

Firstly i am sorry if this is a FAQ.
    I am wondering through your forum if i can have some assistance with a problem that has occurred on my fathers pc, as my father has very little pc knowlege he has asked me if i can help, hence i am here.
    Now he has a DELL pc with widows xp home, SP2 and the COA is on the pc and XP came pre insalled, recently he has been geting prompts on boot up by WGA that his copy is invalid? He has inturn tried the validation advisor, but it still does not accept the code?
    Can anyone assist in this problem, eternally in your gratitude.......
    Dogtag

Answere....

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Now i have asked my father to download/run/copy but he can't copy(do not know why?)but i got him to capture the report with a screen capture....here is the link
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/481/martinov5.png  now i know it is not the way i was aked to perform this report but it is the only way i can get it, appologies in advance.

Can anyone help, many thanks again
    Dogtag
    P.s don't know if this has anything to do with it but he has KAV 6.XXX, could this be blocking the attempts by WIN LOGON/wga??
    Monday, September 3, 2007 7:50 PM

Answers

• Analyzing the information contained in the link you provided, the computer in question has a "Volume License" version of Windows XP Professional installed with a "Geographically blocked PID".  This means the original holder of the Volume License has reported unauthorized use of the Product Key and the key is now blocked.  Individuals should only be running either an "OEM' or "Retail" version of Windows.  Volume licensing is designed for use by corporations or other large enterprise computing environments.

In order to resolve the non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on your options which include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Monday, September 3, 2007 8:15 PM
  • P.S.  If your father's Dell computer came with Windows XP Home Edition preinstalled, then "someone" subsequentely installed the non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional on his computer.  In order to return to the Dell Windows XP Home Edition operationing system, a "clean install" would be required using the Dell Windows XP Home Edition Reinstallation CD that originally came with the Dell computer.  This would require a reformat of the hard drive.

Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Monday, September 3, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Hi Carey

This is the case, his pc was infected by a bad virus and he gave his pc to a third party to wipe and reinstall about a year ago, now the person was given the pc that had all the details on the pc, so i take it that he didn't install the original copy he has installed a conterfit copy?

I did not mention this before as my father assured me that this "person" did all of the above using his dell disk.So i think a lesson learned by my father as i have just phoned him to tell him that his friend of a friend has loaded illegal software on his pc, lets say he isn't happy.

If i may ask you one more question, how difficult is it to reinstall XP using the original Dell disk?

Many thanks for your help and your swift response, many thanks again
    Dogtag
    Monday, September 3, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Your father would have to backup his important documents to a CD or an external drive, then perform a "clean install" as I mentioned earlier.  The easiest route to go is to purchase the WGA Kit which includes a genuine Product Key for Windows XP Professional.  That way a complete reinstallation of Windows XP would be unneccessary.

Monday, September 3, 2007 8:52 PM

All replies

• Analyzing the information contained in the link you provided, the computer in question has a "Volume License" version of Windows XP Professional installed with a "Geographically blocked PID".  This means the original holder of the Volume License has reported unauthorized use of the Product Key and the key is now blocked.  Individuals should only be running either an "OEM' or "Retail" version of Windows.  Volume licensing is designed for use by corporations or other large enterprise computing environments.

In order to resolve the non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on your options which include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Monday, September 3, 2007 8:15 PM
  • P.S.  If your father's Dell computer came with Windows XP Home Edition preinstalled, then "someone" subsequentely installed the non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional on his computer.  In order to return to the Dell Windows XP Home Edition operationing system, a "clean install" would be required using the Dell Windows XP Home Edition Reinstallation CD that originally came with the Dell computer.  This would require a reformat of the hard drive.

Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Monday, September 3, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Hi Carey

This is the case, his pc was infected by a bad virus and he gave his pc to a third party to wipe and reinstall about a year ago, now the person was given the pc that had all the details on the pc, so i take it that he didn't install the original copy he has installed a conterfit copy?

I did not mention this before as my father assured me that this "person" did all of the above using his dell disk.So i think a lesson learned by my father as i have just phoned him to tell him that his friend of a friend has loaded illegal software on his pc, lets say he isn't happy.

If i may ask you one more question, how difficult is it to reinstall XP using the original Dell disk?

Many thanks for your help and your swift response, many thanks again
    Dogtag
    Monday, September 3, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Your father would have to backup his important documents to a CD or an external drive, then perform a "clean install" as I mentioned earlier.  The easiest route to go is to purchase the WGA Kit which includes a genuine Product Key for Windows XP Professional.  That way a complete reinstallation of Windows XP would be unneccessary.

Monday, September 3, 2007 8:52 PM