Unable to connect with the console, ERROR... RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone had this before?

This message comes up when I use:
    - The console
    - The remote desktop
    - The console from the website

At first I had some problems that Norton was blocking any traffic to the server... so I was unable to use the Console. I'd fix that.
    Then I had a graphics card (ati 9800) with driver problem which gave problems, so I was unable to use the Console (disabling all hardware accellerations seems to help for a while). After a uninstall and a installation of the graphic drivers then I got the console working (again).

And now I got this error...

The home server has the following hardware:
    - asus A7N8X
    - 1 GB RAM
    - ATI 9800 PRO

For the moment being I have the server standing next to my pc and with a VGA cable so I'm able to log on, but that's not the ideal situation...

ps. Are graphic driver needed? or can the home server run without them(and still use the console)?
    Monday, December 3, 2007 11:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, no, graphics drivers are not required to use the Consol or to RDP into the server. In fact, you would be better - from a power-saving point of view- to remove the graphics card altogether. You may need to set the server to stop on no errors, but most motherboards nowadays can boot quite well without a card.

Your error message you have, seems to indicate a faulty install. Have you ever had this working correctly, or is this a new installation? If a new installation, I would try a re-install over the top of your existing system first.

Colin

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:03 PM
  • @ Colin,

Thanks for the info, I will run some tests to see how the system reacts when the graphic card is removed.

The installation was and is running for some months already, with out any sever problems.

After a thorough inspection in the log files I saw a corruption in the user(admin) profile. I'd solved the problem by downloading a Microsoft -tools which cleans the profile. After that was done, then the problem was over.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, no, graphics drivers are not required to use the Consol or to RDP into the server. In fact, you would be better - from a power-saving point of view- to remove the graphics card altogether. You may need to set the server to stop on no errors, but most motherboards nowadays can boot quite well without a card.

Your error message you have, seems to indicate a faulty install. Have you ever had this working correctly, or is this a new installation? If a new installation, I would try a re-install over the top of your existing system first.

Colin

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:03 PM
  • @ Colin,

Thanks for the info, I will run some tests to see how the system reacts when the graphic card is removed.

The installation was and is running for some months already, with out any sever problems.

After a thorough inspection in the log files I saw a corruption in the user(admin) profile. I'd solved the problem by downloading a Microsoft -tools which cleans the profile. After that was done, then the problem was over.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:32 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

... In fact, you would be better - from a power-saving point of view- to remove the graphics card altogether. You may need to set the server to stop on no errors, but most motherboards nowadays can boot quite well without a card. ...

I did some tests and checked some forums but there is no way to get pasted the BIOS with out a videocard with this motherboard (and many others). The option in the BIOS, Halt on NO ERRORS, does indeed ignore all devices except the videocard, unless someone knows a other(better) option.
    The motherboard has not a onboard vid. so I'll replace the videocard for some crapy €5,- card. A 9800 pro is indeed "overkill" but that is all I have as spare.

Thanx for the info anyway.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 9:26 PM
  • I am marking Colin's post as an answer since it did answer a part of your question.

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:43 PM