WHS Connector won't install on Vista 64-bit despite doing the install correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS running fine and backing up two XP-computers.
    I also have an Vista 64-bit Ultimate but when trying to install the connector software I get out of luck.
    The 64-bit sees the server fine, (shares) and I can remote desktop to the server from it.
    When I install the conncetor software I run the installer by opening a CMD as administrator and then run
    \\SERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software\whsconnector.msi" WHSMSI="RUNSETUP"
    I get to the point where the installer has asked for the server password and then it does something like
    1. "joining server
    2. "configuring backup"

At 2, the configuring part, never finishes but instead it tells my the server probably is turned of.  (of course it is on)

I have dissabled windows firewall on the Vista-computer aswell as ESET smart security firewall.

I have ran all Windows updates on the WHS. I can't tell if I have Power Pack 1 installed that has to be there for 64-bit to work. All I can se is that I have "Windows Home Server, Service Pack 2". "General" in the System properties dialog.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards Jonas
    Monday, December 22, 2008 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have the powerPack installed, which should have been done by now, if you open your Shared Folders from any Client, then you will see in the Home Server Connector Software folder that some of the files will have 'x64' in their file names.
    To install the Connector software, the usual way is to open a browser window, and go to ' http://<yourservername>:55000/ ' where you should be given the option to install. Also, there is a Connector Troubleshooter document available here, which might help.

Good luck,

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by WHSwed Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:27 AM
    Monday, December 22, 2008 6:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have the powerPack installed, which should have been done by now, if you open your Shared Folders from any Client, then you will see in the Home Server Connector Software folder that some of the files will have 'x64' in their file names.
    To install the Connector software, the usual way is to open a browser window, and go to ' http://<yourservername>:55000/ ' where you should be given the option to install. Also, there is a Connector Troubleshooter document available here, which might help.

Good luck,

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by WHSwed Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:27 AM
    Monday, December 22, 2008 6:18 PM
  • The usual  way worked even worse as it didn't even start the install. However I RD the server and ran windows update a few times and one of the installed uppgrades was concerning shared folders and also some vista 64-bit issues. It needed a reboot after this. After this I tried the "usual" way, that is via http:\\server:55000 and voila it installed correctly this time and now I have backups of the vista-computer running fine.
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:25 AM