Waiting for Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• Product Key

received my Windows Genuine Advantage CD. However Microsoft has not yet E-mailed me the Product Key. I paid on-line since January 21, 2007.
    Is this the typical waiting time?
    Does Microsoft typically send the CD before the Product Key?

Sunday, February 4, 2007 1:48 AM

Answers

• Sunday, February 4, 2007 4:37 AM
  • Hi DQRoyal,

The product key should have been emailed to you right when you placed your order.  It also contains instructions on how to download the product key update tool, which is a tool that will help you swap out the product key without having to do a full reinstall of Windows.

Double check that the email 'junk filter' didn't throw away anything from Microsoft.  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/OrderHelp.aspx?displaylang=en

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 3:07 AM
  •  DQRoyal wrote:
    Hello Michelle:Your references are of absolutely no use as I am dizzy from this Microsoft runaround. I keep being referred to the local provider, the local provider refers me to someone else. I will continue to write to Microsoft everyday to see how long this matter will go on and on. telephone numbers either do not work or the person on the line refers you to another numberAll I want is my product key. That is all. You have debited my account quite efficiently. Why all of this gymnastics to resolve what I perceived was a simple customer service matter.I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with your customer service runaround system.If it is that you cannot deliver my Product Key, then refund me my money.Earl Browne

Hi Earl,

I am sorry you are feeling like you are getting the run-around that is not our intention at all.  Since you appear to have purchased online directly from Microsoft, can you provide me with your order number?  I will be able to have one of the order PM's look up your order (which contains the product key). 

The product key is sent upon order completion, so I am concerned that you did not receive it. 

Please let me know your order number and I will be happy to get the information looked up for you.

Thanks,
    Michelle

P.S.  For customers located in the U.S. if you purchase a 'genuine XP kit' online, you can call:  1-866-530-6599 with questions about your order.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Hi Mock,

Are you having an issue?  If so, can you elaborate?  I am assuming that your details are not 100% the same as DQRoyal's as you quoted. 

If you purchased a kit online (the WGA offer), you will receive via email, upon confirmation of payment, your new 25-character Product Key and instructions on how to download the Windows Product Key Update Tool.

You will also receive a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP CD via postal mail within four to six weeks of your confirmed order.

For customers located in the U.S. if you purchase a 'genuine XP kit' online, you can call:  1-866-530-6599 with questions about your order.  

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:20 PM
  •  DQRoyal wrote:
    Hello Michelle:Thank you for your offer of assistance. I crave your indulgence to share with you a bit on how my dilemma ended today. I was directed by a CSR to call 800 360 7561, the CSR at that contact number connected me through to a CSR at 866 530 6599. The CSR at 866 530 6599 advised me to call 1 888 801 2598. I called the number and was advised that I needed to call between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM. I called this morning, the CSR was very helpful, however sometime I did not notice that Microsoft Customer Service Center had sent the Product Key via E-mail , this morning; the CSR confirmed this on the telephone.I thank those Microsoft staff members who went out of their way to solve my problem. DQRoyal

Hi DQRoyal,

Thank you for sharing your CSR story with me.  In the end, I'm glad it worked out OK. 

What I am going to do is share your story with one of the Program Manager's on my team that interfaces directly with the customer service centers.  Feedback like yours is great because it will allow them to know where there are 'glitches' in the system and they can use this input to try to improve the process. 

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need assistance!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, February 9, 2007 7:48 PM

All replies

• Sunday, February 4, 2007 4:37 AM
  • Hi DQRoyal,

The product key should have been emailed to you right when you placed your order.  It also contains instructions on how to download the product key update tool, which is a tool that will help you swap out the product key without having to do a full reinstall of Windows.

Double check that the email 'junk filter' didn't throw away anything from Microsoft.  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/OrderHelp.aspx?displaylang=en

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 3:07 AM
  • Hello Michelle:Your references are of absolutely no use as I am dizzy from this Microsoft runaround. I keep being referred to the local provider, the local provider refers me to someone else. I will continue to write to Microsoft everyday to see how long this matter will go on and on. telephone numbers either do not work or the person on the line refers you to another numberAll I want is my product key. That is all. You have debited my account quite efficiently. Why all of this gymnastics to resolve what I perceived was a simple customer service matter.I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with your customer service runaround system.If it is that you cannot deliver my Product Key, then refund me my money.Earl Browne
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Hello Dan:I am getting the runaround from Microsoft. All I simply want is my Product Key via E-mail.This is my worst customer service experience!Earl Browne
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 1:25 AM
  • Hello Dan at IT Associates:Who does Windows Genuine Advantage support support? As far as my experience has gone since January 21st, 2007, Microsoft has taken advantage of me!!Earl Browne
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 1:29 AM
  •  DQRoyal wrote:

Product Key

received my Windows Genuine Advantage CD. However Microsoft has not yet E-mailed me the Product Key. I paid on-line since January 21, 2007.
    Is this the typical waiting time?
    Does Microsoft typically send the CD before the Product Key?

Thursday, February 8, 2007 1:06 PM
  •  DQRoyal wrote:
    Hello Michelle:Your references are of absolutely no use as I am dizzy from this Microsoft runaround. I keep being referred to the local provider, the local provider refers me to someone else. I will continue to write to Microsoft everyday to see how long this matter will go on and on. telephone numbers either do not work or the person on the line refers you to another numberAll I want is my product key. That is all. You have debited my account quite efficiently. Why all of this gymnastics to resolve what I perceived was a simple customer service matter.I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with your customer service runaround system.If it is that you cannot deliver my Product Key, then refund me my money.Earl Browne

Hi Earl,

I am sorry you are feeling like you are getting the run-around that is not our intention at all.  Since you appear to have purchased online directly from Microsoft, can you provide me with your order number?  I will be able to have one of the order PM's look up your order (which contains the product key). 

The product key is sent upon order completion, so I am concerned that you did not receive it. 

Please let me know your order number and I will be happy to get the information looked up for you.

Thanks,
    Michelle

P.S.  For customers located in the U.S. if you purchase a 'genuine XP kit' online, you can call:  1-866-530-6599 with questions about your order.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Hi Mock,

Are you having an issue?  If so, can you elaborate?  I am assuming that your details are not 100% the same as DQRoyal's as you quoted. 

If you purchased a kit online (the WGA offer), you will receive via email, upon confirmation of payment, your new 25-character Product Key and instructions on how to download the Windows Product Key Update Tool.

You will also receive a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP CD via postal mail within four to six weeks of your confirmed order.

For customers located in the U.S. if you purchase a 'genuine XP kit' online, you can call:  1-866-530-6599 with questions about your order.  

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Hello Michelle:Thank you for your offer of assistance. I crave your indulgence to share with you a bit on how my dilemma ended today. I was directed by a CSR to call 800 360 7561, the CSR at that contact number connected me through to a CSR at 866 530 6599. The CSR at 866 530 6599 advised me to call 1 888 801 2598. I called the number and was advised that I needed to call between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM. I called this morning, the CSR was very helpful, however sometime I did not notice that Microsoft Customer Service Center had sent the Product Key via E-mail , this morning; the CSR confirmed this on the telephone.I thank those Microsoft staff members who went out of their way to solve my problem. DQRoyal
    Friday, February 9, 2007 1:00 AM
  •  DQRoyal wrote:
    Hello Michelle:Thank you for your offer of assistance. I crave your indulgence to share with you a bit on how my dilemma ended today. I was directed by a CSR to call 800 360 7561, the CSR at that contact number connected me through to a CSR at 866 530 6599. The CSR at 866 530 6599 advised me to call 1 888 801 2598. I called the number and was advised that I needed to call between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM. I called this morning, the CSR was very helpful, however sometime I did not notice that Microsoft Customer Service Center had sent the Product Key via E-mail , this morning; the CSR confirmed this on the telephone.I thank those Microsoft staff members who went out of their way to solve my problem. DQRoyal

Hi DQRoyal,

Thank you for sharing your CSR story with me.  In the end, I'm glad it worked out OK. 

What I am going to do is share your story with one of the Program Manager's on my team that interfaces directly with the customer service centers.  Feedback like yours is great because it will allow them to know where there are 'glitches' in the system and they can use this input to try to improve the process. 

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need assistance!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, February 9, 2007 7:48 PM