locked
Authentication issue using the configuration wizard + Citrix Xenapp RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I hope this is the right forum.  We currently use Citrix Xenapp servers, running on Windows 2003 R2 x64.  We are trying to configure CRM hosted for use on the servers.  We need CRM via Outlook rather the using Internet Explorer.  We installed the Online Outlook CRM client and things go well.  The configuration tab shows up when the user opens Outlook.  When tryinng to run config from with Outlook we get the message to close outlook and run the config wizard from the start menu.  The user fires up the config wizard from the start menu and it gets to the screen where it wants to connect and asks for the users Windows Live username and password.  After entering the credentials and clicking OK we get an authntication error.  The error is as follows.  "Cannot connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server because we cannon authenticate your credentials.  Check your connection or contact your administrator for more help".   If we open IE and go to https://'companyname'.crm.dynamics.com the user can log in without issue.

    Any idea what is causing the issue and how to resolve?

    Thanks
    Friday, September 25, 2009 6:38 PM

Answers

  • Ok, got that issue resolved.  We have restrictions on what .exe files can be run on the server.  Took the user out of that group and discovered an exe (microsoft.crm.application.hoster.exe) was trying to run but couldn't.  Added that exe to the allowed list and things are now looking good.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:11 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    This seems to be a issue worth a support ticket to Microsoft.  I would recommend that you contact MS Support to resolve this issue. 

    They might able to give you some surprise news on the future outlook client which I can't talk about it on this moment yet. :)
    Darren Liu | 刘嘉鸿 | MS CRM MVP | English Blog: http://msdynamicscrm-e.blogspot.com | Chinese Blog: http://liudarren.spaces.live.com
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:15 AM
  • If I log on as an Admin and use the CRM credentials of a CRM user the config wizard does not stop with that error and I get to the next page "Help Us Improve the Customer Experience".  Seems to me there is a permissions issue somewhere, either on the server or because the Citrix users access the net via a proxy server.   The PS is only used so we can better report through websense.  Without the PS websense will tell us which server was used to go to which site but not by which user.  With the PS we get reporting details on user visited websites.   Hmm.............
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:10 PM
  • I'm thinking it's a permission issue or something is trying to write to the registry but can't logged in as a regular user.  I made the one user a domain admin and the error doesn't occur.  I got to the Customer Experience page.  Took away domain admin from the user and fired up the config and it goes directly to the Cutomer Experience page.  I then logged onto the server as a different user and fired up the config wizard.  I entered the credentials of the user who was getting the error before and all is good.  No error and I get to the CE page.  I'm thinking running this as a domain admin once may have written something to the registry or set some permission.  I'm waiting on the credentials for a different CRM user and will try to run the wizard and see what happens.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:07 PM
  • I wiped my test users profile and started fresh, with a different CRM user's credentials.  I was able to complete the wizard but then ran into a problem with Outlook.  The CRM tab is now titled "Starting Background Process...... and an error shows on screen as follows:  "An error occured loading crm functionality.  Try restarting outlook.  Contact System Administrator if error persists".   I'm now searching on how to resovle this.

    So close but yet so far.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Ok, got that issue resolved.  We have restrictions on what .exe files can be run on the server.  Took the user out of that group and discovered an exe (microsoft.crm.application.hoster.exe) was trying to run but couldn't.  Added that exe to the allowed list and things are now looking good.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:11 PM