Itunes HP Media Smart / Firefly RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP MediaSmart and allowed it to aggregate all my music in the network Itunes folder. Very nice.  I can play the music PC.  It will not let me copy any of the network folder music to my Ipods, even the non-protected files.  Is there a way around this?

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:45 PM

Answers

• Are you trying to sync your iPod with a Shared iTunes Music Library?

If so you aren’t going to be able to as those shares are intended only for playback, not copying or syncing through that interface.

Instead you’ll need to access the files directly and add them to your local iTunes library (even if they exist on an accessible network share (ex: \\hpserver\Music) ) and then you’ll be able to sync them.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:42 AM
  • Doug, that's correct. iTunes will not allow you to sync a shared library with an iPod because of potential copyright issues.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:42 AM

All replies

• Could you provide some more information on what the error is? 
    Monday, December 17, 2007 10:30 PM
  • Are you trying to sync your iPod with a Shared iTunes Music Library?

If so you aren’t going to be able to as those shares are intended only for playback, not copying or syncing through that interface.

Instead you’ll need to access the files directly and add them to your local iTunes library (even if they exist on an accessible network share (ex: \\hpserver\Music) ) and then you’ll be able to sync them.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:42 AM
  • Yes, I want to sync a local Ipod to the network music library.  Looks like I csnnot do this with Itunes.  I assume this an Itunes limitation not WHS.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:37 AM
  • Doug, that's correct. iTunes will not allow you to sync a shared library with an iPod because of potential copyright issues.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:42 AM