How can I combine items from a subgrid into 1 field? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working on putting together an Account Summary Snapshot and I am having a lot of difficulties with reporting contacts on appointments entity. As you can see from screenshot, this is the set up I am hoping to achieve and I have 1 column for "CLIENT PARTICIPANTS".  

For our meetings I want to report on client participants (separate from required attendees). So I created "Additional Particpants" entity which then has subgrid for me to add any contacts who participated in the meeting. 

The problem I face is I have no clue how to get those contacts into my report. I would of course want them all in one field as per the first screenshot..

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!! thanks so much

Dan

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You have a number of options:

1. Create a plugin or realtime work flow with custom acitivity that updates a string field with the participants when you add/remove over this relationship.

2. Create a master/detail report so that the participants are shown as a sub report for each line in the master report - you can then format the sub report so that it shows the participants in a horizontal grid rather than vertical.

3. If you are using OnPrem, you can create a separate SQL database to act as a SSRS helper database where you can add a funciton that flattens down the activity party list to a string for a given activity id and re-write your report to use SQL rather than fetchxml.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:39 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Scott, Thanks for above..This is all very new to me sorry for dumb questions.. Would you have more details on the 2 points

1) I am little unclear about this, what exactly do you  mean? I am familiar with workflows but what would I need to do here?

2) How do I go about creating master/detail report? Is it by using tables in SSRS? And when I format the sub report how will the items be on horizontal grid? What I mean is what if I have 20 participants, will it just keep going to the right? or can I define it so it goes to the next line? The concern is that I want it all aligned properly..So it is like there will be a SUB report in Master report.. what happens if I have 3 appointments, will it know to arrange contacts properly?

Thanks so much

Dan

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:16 PM
  • anyone else any thoughts on this? I want a simple way to take my subgrid list and combine it into 1 new field?
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:23 PM