PP1 Broke my server :( RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

Downloaded and installed PP1 today, and the behavior is peculiar, to say the least. Everything worked prior to the install.

Here is what still works:

• My client PCs are still getting Network Health Notificaitons in the system tray
    • The Windows Home Server console opens on the clients
    • The 'http:\\homeserver:55000\' link works, the link is clickable to download the new connector software

Here is what no longer works:

• Updated Connector software installation fails at the 'downloading from homeserver' step
    • I can no longer ping the homeserver from any client, but I can ping all the clients from the homeserver
    • The shares on the homeserver are no longer available from any client, the error code is 0x80070035, 'The network path was not found'

In the network settings I have confirmed that:

• The server and the clients are in the same workgroup, have the same subnet mask and none of them have IPv6 running
    • the homeserver is still running on its assigned IP (no DHCP)

All the clients are Vista flavors - a home premium, 2 ultimates, and 1 enterprise.

Im stumped why the homeserver stopped talking for the pings and shares. Whats happening?

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, July 28, 2008 11:56 PM

Answers

• Ah!

For some reason there was a single tick box in Symantec Endpoint Protection called 'Share my files and printers with others on the network' on the server. It didnt occur to me to check here because it was working fine before.

Time to go read more about Symantec. But problem seems to be solved here.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:47 AM

All replies

•  Mark G wrote:
    Hello,

Downloaded and installed PP1 today, and the behavior is peculiar, to say the least. Everything worked prior to the install.

Here is what still works:

• My client PCs are still getting Network Health Notificaitons in the system tray
    • The Windows Home Server console opens on the clients
    • The 'http:\\homeserver:55000\' link works, the link is clickable to download the new connector software

Here is what no longer works:

• Updated Connector software installation fails at the 'downloading from homeserver' step
    • I can no longer ping the homeserver from any client, but I can ping all the clients from the homeserver
    • The shares on the homeserver are no longer available from any client, the error code is 0x80070035, 'The network path was not found'

In the network settings I have confirmed that:

• The server and the clients are in the same workgroup, have the same subnet mask and none of them have IPv6 running
    • the homeserver is still running on its assigned IP (no DHCP)

All the clients are Vista flavors - a home premium, 2 ultimates, and 1 enterprise.

Im stumped why the homeserver stopped talking for the pings and shares. Whats happening?

Thanks,

Mark

Have you tried pinging your server both by name and IP address?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:16 AM
  • Yes. Both are broken, 'Destination host unreachable.'

Something got shut off in the network settings it seems, but Im at a loss as to what!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:21 AM
  •  Mark G wrote:
    Yes. Both are broken, 'Destination host unreachable.'

Something got shut off in the network settings it seems, but Im at a loss as to what!

Maybe something went haywire with your server firewall.  You might try disabling it temporarily and see if that works.

Have you tried the Remote Access (to see if that shows up at all)?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:27 AM
  • Ive disabled the Windows firewall all together on the server side, and I can connect to the server via Remote Access, both via the WHS console and a standard Remote Desktop connection.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:36 AM
  • Ah!

For some reason there was a single tick box in Symantec Endpoint Protection called 'Share my files and printers with others on the network' on the server. It didnt occur to me to check here because it was working fine before.

Time to go read more about Symantec. But problem seems to be solved here.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:47 AM