none
Prevent Overwrite of files RRS feed

• Question

• I use SyncToy to backup my media center PC. A typical recorded 1 hour HDTV program runs 6-7GB. Media Center apparently updates something in these files that SyncToy recognizes as a change (I think maybe date last accessed when displaying files in the Recorded TV list). The result is a lot of files that need to be overwritten on my backup disk every night (often 70-100GB). Since I know these files have not really changed I would prefer not to copy them every night. Is there anyway to disable "overwrite" for a particular directory pair? I tried "check file contents" but this is even slower and does not prevent the overwrites.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:29 PM

All replies

• You could exclude this particular sub folder if you do not want to it be synced. But notice, by doing this, even there are update for some files under this folder, SyncToy will not check and sync this folder untill you include this sub folder again.

Details please see help on Folder Pair Options, section Select subfolders.

BTW, choose "check file content" will slow the sync process and this option is only useful on the scenario if you have files have same modify time but its content are different.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Friday, June 25, 2010 9:54 AM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 9:51 AM