creating regions and adding push pins RRS feed

• Question

• O saw the video where you can create regions. so I have a whole set of pushpins. How do i make the regions I draw select the push pins in that region?

Like I have 200 places and I want to select them by freeform drawing and make 3 separate routes. So I thought I'll select a quantity of them and click add pushpons to route and save ...route 1. then clear the route again leaving the pushipins and select a second group and add those to a route and save as route 2 and then the rest as route 3. Problem is I can't see which pushpins I selected before each time and I can't select the ones in the regions because it only allows rectangular selection of pushpins. Any thoughts or am  missing something?

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:01 AM

All replies

• Have you thought about breaking down your pushpins into three different pushpin sets, one for each region?  I seems to me that you now have all the pushins in one set.  If that would work for you, there are a couple (or more) ways of approaching it.  One way would be to open S&T in two separate windows (you can have multiple S&Ts running concurrently) and select one-by-one pushpins in a region and copy them from the master map to the regionized map by using Copy (ctrl-c) and Paste (ctrl-v) from one to the other.  You might want to change the color of the pushpin for each as you go as a way of keeping track of which ones you have done.

However, that could be a bit tedious.  So if it were me, I would delete every pushpin not in the territory you are working on by selecting a rectangle that contains all of the territory you are working on and selecting "delete visible pushpins outside area" from the drop-down menu.  Then and if there are still pushpins showing that our outside the target region, I would delete those, too.  You either do that singly or select smaller rectangles containing pushpins you do not want in that region and selecting "delete visible pushpins inside area."  When that is all done, save the file with a new name relating to the region like "Region One."  You might want to go to the pushpin set and give it a unique name like "Region One" and give all the pushpins their own regional color before you save the file.  Then, go back and re-open the master file and repeat the above for the next region until you have done all your regions.

When that is all done, you should have, in your case, four route files: the master and three regionals.  You can now select each of these newly created regional pushpin sets and copy them back onto the master map.  Select the pushpin set in the Legend and overview panel, right-click on it, and select Copy and then open the master map file and paste (ctrl-v) them into the map.  Repeat for the other regions.  At the end, you should have all three regions along with your intial pushpin set in that file.  Save it.  Now, you can hide all the pushpin sets and open only the regional set you want to do routing or whatever. 

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:59 AM
  •  

Hi Leafwolf!  I’m gratified you’ve found the Territory video ‘thought provoking’.

I really like Philip’s suggestion for maintaining the routes in a region as it rigidly defines a pin as a ‘member’ of a route/region and allows the showing and hiding of different zones.

If the pushpins you’re adding are not necessarily that permanent – there is a way to have the region you have drawn select the pushpins in that region – and add them as stops to your route.

I’ve attached a rather busy image that provides more detail.  However, the steps are:

1. Create the territory as seen in the video.
    2. With your pushpins loaded into the map, click the edge of the territory you want to add pushpins as stops.
    3. Once territory is selected, right click – and choose ‘add pushpins as stops’.
    4. Now click your route planner button – and you’ll see that the stops have been added.
    5. You can delete any stops from the route planner that aren’t on this run.
    6. Make sure your distribution center is a part of the route.
    7. Click ‘optimize stops’ if desired – and you’ve used your drawn territory to create a route.

IMPORTANT!

The territory you’ve drawn must be ‘closed’ in order to choose the pushpins for a route  (your last drawn territory point must overlap the first). So, if you right click on a territory you’ve chosen – and don’t see ‘add pushpins as stops’ – choose the ‘CLOSE CURVE’ option …. Then right click again on the territory edge.

If you get a chance – let me know if you found this useful….I do an add on video covering this topic.

Keith O'Brien

• Proposed as answer by Philip K1 Saturday, March 3, 2012 3:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Philip K1 Saturday, March 3, 2012 3:04 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Philip K1 Saturday, March 3, 2012 3:04 PM
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:31 PM
  • WOW, Keith, this is really useful!  I do not think the CLOSE CURVE -> ADD PUSHPINS AS STOPS feature is documented at all in S&T Help and I cannot remember seeing anyone mention it before.  Brilliant! 

Besides your suggestion for using it in a calling territory, it could also be used by any traveller.  For instance, suppose you are plotting a route from New York to Boston and you know you will not make it on one blatter-vent and you have a pushpin set of rest areas that covers Connecticut.  You could draw a freeform area around a zone up the Merritt Parkway which would approximate your minimum and maximum blatter range and then add those pushpins as Stops using your technique eliminating the ones that don't work (Westbound ones, for instance).  After those pushpins are safely in your route, you can delete the freeform shape.  And just because the Stop is in route, does not mean you have to pull in and have a wee.

I don't know if LeafWolf thinks it is a good idea for MyPointExactly to make a video of this, but I sure do!  But then, I have always been generous with the use of your time.

Saturday, March 3, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Thanks Philip!  Yes - I believe I will put this on the video to do list :)

Wish I could claim 'brilliance' on the 'Close Curve' deal.....I stumbled on it by accident when I realized that I could click some free form shapes and add pins as stops....but not other shapes I created.  I had been able to add stops only if I had happened to overlap my last point on to the first point.

The cool thing is - if you've already created a territory....and find that you can't export.....you can right click and choose 'close curve' at any time.

Keith O'Brien

Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:06 PM
  • I look forward to seeing the video. 

Playing around with this more, I note that the territory can be defined either with the shapes drawing tools or you can use the "Scribble" tool.  Like the Freeform tool, you must close the curve to get to the state where you can add pushpins as stops.  And the difference between the territories you get is that Scribble-tool-produced shapes do not have a separate color border, whereas the Freeform-tool-produced shapes do. 

The Highlighting tool will also work in lieu of the Scribble tool.  The advantage that has is that its color is "behind" the roads by default so you can avoid the step of sending the territory there.

• Edited by Philip K1 Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:37 PM
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Whoaa - scribble tool is cool!  I WAS able to get a border of different color with my scribble tool though.  I had to specifically choose a line color.  Can you not get a line color if you try to change it? (I'm running '11)

Here's another 'interesting' tidbit.  Though not surprising....still of note:  If you draw overlapping territories - regardless of 'order' (which territory is shown 'over' the other), pushpins that are within the

overlap zone will be added to the route for either territory that is chosen. 

Keith O'Brien

Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Ahhh, right, Keith, the Line color and Fill color options apply to shapes created with the Scribble tool as you observe.  Perhaps I had both color options set to the same color.

And thanks for the observation about overlapping territories.  That opens up another whole ranges of uses.  For instance, when I was a milkman (yes, I was!) I had homes that received deliveries Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, then some that was the same route but NOT Saturday, and then other homes that got milk just Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday thereby producing an overlap on Saturday (Saturday was a long day). I could have used the territory routing technique to good effect. 

Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:00 PM