none
Why do my (Intel ParStuXE2017ProFortranWindows) .exe files require so many external .dll's to run? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I write in Fortran 90, compile in Microsoft Visual Studio 2013, with Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 Professional for Fortran Windows.  Many of my programs use the Math Kernel Library (MKL).

Previously, using Intel 2013 Fortran, I got stand-alone .exe file products; the only exception was that parallel executables required libiomp5md.dll to be installed (in PATH) or present in the same folder.  I didn't like that, but accepted it.

Now that I have switched to Intel Fortran 2017, I find that many other .dll files are now demanded, including: mkl_sequential.dll, mkl_avx.dll, mkl_core.dll, mkl_intel_thread.dll, ...    Is there some switch I can set so that these MKL components will be built into my (single) .exe file product?  (I know I can find the missing files and put them into each folder with an .exe, but this is duplicative and not elegant.  ALSO, I am a scientist who gives away his source codes and executables, and it will be a big burden on my users (many of whom are young graduate students) if they have to find and "install" these extra .dll's.  There will be no end of trouble, because each one comes in a 32-bit version and also a 64-bit version, and there is no distinction between these in the file names!

Saturday, May 20, 2017 9:36 PM

All replies

• You might get better support by pursuing the question about Intel's products with its support channels.  Hopefully Intel support will be able to advise you which of it's compiler options can be set and static libraries referenced to achieve your objective.

That being said, perhaps this link might be helpful https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-link-line-advisor

Sunday, May 21, 2017 3:43 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

LikeRLWA32 said, your issue is about the development issue of Intel Fortran. Since our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, it is better to redirect to the appropriate forum: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum and start a new thread to seek for a more professional support.

Sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 22, 2017 7:57 AM