"Unable to read your hard drive" - which one? RRS feed

• Question

• According to WHS, all is well, but when I made a Remote Desktop connection I found Windows had detected an error, described as "Windows was temporarily unable to read your hard disk drive. We don't know the exact cause of the problem. In most cases, this type of condition is momentary and doesn't indicate a serious problem, but sometimes it means that a hard disk is failing."

How do I tell which drive it is, so I can replace the right one?

Since WHS does not report anything wrong, is there any point reviewing WHS log files? If yes, which ones?

Thanks!
    --Peter
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:23 PM

All replies

• If you do not already have this add-in: http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/ called "Windows Home Server Disk Management", install it.  It will list your hard drives and show the motherboard connection number for each one.  You'll need to know how your motherboard labels it's hard drive connections.  It will also list the drive health status.  I use it to upgrade existing drives and it works. 
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:02 PM
  • A good idea, but WHS Disk Management also reports everything's fine. (The WHS system crashed again with that same disk read failure, just since I entered the initial forum post.)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Start by checking all the drives in your server for errors .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:11 AM
  • I've done that too (run the batch file to check all drives in my server for errors), but the DOS command windows all close when chkdsk is done so I'm again left with no information about which drive is having problems. Is there a log file somewhere I can check?

You see, that's the root of the problem - no actionable info on which drive is having problems, and should be replaced.

Not the friendly-to-non-technical-users experience that flavors all the communications about WHS, I'm afraid. All hard drives fail, so I'd sure like to see better surfacing of actionable information that doesn't require the user to root around in non-intuitive log files to tease out the necessary information.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:26 AM
  • chkdsk logs information in the application log, source = winlogon.

Regarding the user friendly nature of the product (or the lack thereof :) ), remember that Windows Home Server isn't really designed for installation by an end user. It really is an OEM/system builder product. In an OEM device, there will be drive lights that will identify a failed drive (it's a requirement for OEMs). A system builder won't usually include drive lights, but they at least offer additional support for the servers they build and sell. When an end user installs system builder software, they are operating completely without a safety net, as there is no free support other than online forums like this one for Windows Home Server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:34 PM
  • In the Event Viewer, I did not find any Chkdsk errors, but in the System log I found several instances of this System Error:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: System
    Event Category: (102)
    Event ID: 1003
    Date: 12/13/2009
    Time: 1:16:54 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HPSERVER
    Description:
    Error code 00000077, parameter 1 0000001, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000
    parameter4 b771cc0c. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

As best I can tell, that's a disk error that led to a blue screen and reboot. Does this imply it's the system drive that's failing?

Still trying to figure out which drive is having trouble, so I can replace it...
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:59 PM
  • I am seeing the same problem on my Acer Easystore.  How did you fix it?
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:37 AM