OCS 2007 reinstall fails RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to reinstall OCS2007. I have tried to remove everything from our AD but it seems that there is still something remaining. I don't know why, I have tried the suggestions from other posts here and also looked at https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=13.

After I have entered all pool information, I get a messagebox saying 'The pool backend discovery failed'. Failed to execute the reconfigure command.Please ensure pending configuration changes are all resolved before installation can continue. I can decide to go on from here, but in a later stage the setup aborts with the same message in the html log report.

Why is it failing here? I have removed everything from AD as far as I know...

Any ideas?

Greets and tnx!

Mark Vroom

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:53 PM

Answers

•  

Resolved!

My AD was completely empty with the suggestions of Jeff. But there was a problem on SQL server. The OCS installation tries to update some settings directly in the metabase as you can read in the HTML log reports. In SQL 2005 that's not allowed anymore, but I have tried to allow that buy executing Allow updates 1' in t-sql on SQL Server. That command is not allowed but is accepted partially as it seems.

By setting it back to 0, updates are not allowed anymore and then it's working.

sp_configure 'allow updates',0

go

reconfigure with override

go.

Yes, it's strange behavior, but this is causing the messagebox that there is some unfinished previous installation stuff.

Thanks for MS (Haydar Kaplan)  for assistance (we have opened a case yesterday), great!

Greets,
    Mark.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi

when you uninstalled did you start at you pool deactivate then domain unprep then forrest unprep?

if you didnt remove it like that you will get errors when reinstalling and it wont work.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/office/bb629431.aspx

if you use this link and download the cmd line ref guide (bottom of first line) it has the commands to manually remove everything for a clean start.

make sure you check the log files if you have any errors removing via cmd line

OCS 2007 locks its self very tightly to AD

spend a few hour make sure you get everything

Hope this helps

Jeff

Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:14 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

I didn't manually deactivate the pool at the first time. I assumed that an unstallation of OCS2007 would handle that itself. But my assumption was wrong... anyhow, I did a cleanup later with lcscmd.exe but it still doesn't help. I would really like to know what OCS2007 is detecting during installation. Then I know where to look for.

I have search through my complete AD on 'RTC' and that has all been removed. But it seems that that's not sufficient...

And the log files don't tell me a lot > pending changes of a previous installation. But *what* changes.. :-(

Greets,
    Mark.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:26 PM
  • Hi Mark,

When you are using the cmd line the errors that you get when removing are signs that the level below has not been removed properly, you need to go down a level and run all the remove commands untill you get success.

did you remove all the MCU's DATA,AV,ACP,IM as it is a good place to start looking.

also what is the error code your log file is creating that would be helpful working out what needs to be removed prior to the current step you are carrying out.

C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Local Settings\Temp\1 = log location

the check"pool,domain,server"state cmds will give you some places to start looking...

if you can post the error code/partial error log that will be helpful.

Jeff

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:09 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

The error from the html log is: Failure
    [0xC3EC78C5] Failed to execute the reconfigure command. Please ensure pending configuration changes are all resolved before installation can continue.

In AD under CN=Microsoft,CN=System,DC=nedfox,DC=net I have removed everything as advised on your blog about OCS removal. Then I executed an ldifde.exe on our whole AD (nedfox.net) and I searched through the output.txt on everything like ocs01 and also on pool01. But both could not be find anymore, only a single DNS entry ocs01.nedfox.net for the webserver for the OCS instalation.

I only found these SIP extensions to the definition of 2 users. But would this be the actual problem? >

msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress: sip:mark-nospam@nedfox.net

msRTCSIP-UserEnabled: FALSE

msRTCSIP-ArchivingEnabled: 0

msRTCSIP-OptionFlags: 256

So in my opinon the AD is completely empty... I have the idea that there is also something installed in SQL Server? On the other hand, if I try another SQL server which has never been assigned for OCS before, I still get the same error message.

I also executed a CheckAllPoolStates. This is the HTML report:

Office Communications Server 2007 Deployment Log
    Time Logged: dinsdag 1 april 2008 0:31:49 Collapse All

Action Action Information Execution Result
    Execute Action       Failure
    [0xC3EC7814] Pool is not ready.
    Initialize Forest Object   FQDN: nedfox.net
    Local Forest: True
      Success
    Initialize Active Directory Connections   Domain: nedfox.net
    Windows 2000 Native Mode Domain: True
    Global Container DN: CN=System,DC=nedfox,DC=net
    Global Container Domain DC: bo01.nedfox.net
    Domain DC: bo01.nedfox.net
    Forest GC: bo01.nedfox.net
      Success
    Check Pools Container       Failure
    [0xC3EC7814] Pool is not ready.
    Check Active Directory Object CN=Pools   Relative Distinguished Name: CN=Pools
    Filter: (objectCategory=msRTCSIP-Pools)
    Search base: LDAP://bo01.nedfox.net/CN=System,DC=nedfox,DC=net
    Domain Controller: bo01.nedfox.net
    Verify Attribute Values: False
    Action Info: Attribute "objectClass" State 0x0 (ATTR_NOT_FOUND) (hr = 0xC3EC7928)
    Action Info: Object State 0x0 (OBJ_NOT_FOUND)
    Object State: Not Ready

So the question is: what pending changes is the installation finding? I would like to post the log file, but it's sooooo big...

Greets,

Mark.

Monday, March 31, 2008 10:12 PM
  •  

Resolved!

My AD was completely empty with the suggestions of Jeff. But there was a problem on SQL server. The OCS installation tries to update some settings directly in the metabase as you can read in the HTML log reports. In SQL 2005 that's not allowed anymore, but I have tried to allow that buy executing Allow updates 1' in t-sql on SQL Server. That command is not allowed but is accepted partially as it seems.

By setting it back to 0, updates are not allowed anymore and then it's working.

sp_configure 'allow updates',0

go

reconfigure with override

go.

Yes, it's strange behavior, but this is causing the messagebox that there is some unfinished previous installation stuff.

Thanks for MS (Haydar Kaplan)  for assistance (we have opened a case yesterday), great!

Greets,
    Mark.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 8:46 PM