Cannot boot past the windows xp splash screen RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure where my question should be posted. This is mine.

I have an IBM Thinkpad t42. Someone in my family accident dropped it a foot off the ground on the corner where the hard drive is located. The computer started running very sluggish so I restarted it. It will no longer boot past the windows splash screen. It comes up and says the whole "start windows normally" and all that, it gets to where it says Windows XP for about 2 or 3 seconds, then for about half a second a blue screen pops up, and its so fast i cannot tell what it is saying. I dont know what to do, I ordered a new hard drive thinking the hard drive is messed up, but Ive lost my windows XP install disc so I dont know if I will even be able to reinstall windows.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 7:55 PM

Answers

• The key on the bottom of your laptop will be an OEM key. It likely won't be accepted by a Retail or Enterprise versions of XP.

Contact IBM/Lenovo customer support and ask for the System Restore & Driver CD's. In my experience most manufactures will ship this for free. Have your laptop ready as they will likely need the serial & model numbers.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:12 PM
  • You can ask here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:23 PM

All replies

• It does sound like physical damage. You could try a SATA to USB adapter to bring the drive up on a desktop. If its accessable you can check for errors. It’s a longshot its repairable, but you might find something’s recoverable. Even if its repaired I wouldn't trust it, stick with the new one.

As for reinstalling Windows, contact IBM and request the System Restore & Drivers CD's.

Good luck.

If this post answered your question please mark it as an answer.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Very helpful reply. Im glad i finally got a response. How much do these adapters cost? I think I will stick with the new hard drive and just try to recover a few things off of my old one.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:40 PM
  • There fairly cheap. $20-30 depending on how many connectors it supports (IDE 3.5", IDE 2.5", SATA). I got one from Tiger Direct that has everything for $25.
    If this post answered your question please mark it as an answer.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:22 PM
  • So I have finally gotten a new hard drive, and I had a friend download windows xp pro sp2 for me, and I have a product key on the underside of my Laptop. When I get to the point where I have to enter in the product key, it says mine is invalid. Is this because I still have win xp on my broken hard drive?
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:04 PM
  • The key on the bottom of your laptop will be an OEM key. It likely won't be accepted by a Retail or Enterprise versions of XP.

Contact IBM/Lenovo customer support and ask for the System Restore & Driver CD's. In my experience most manufactures will ship this for free. Have your laptop ready as they will likely need the serial & model numbers.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:12 PM
  • You can ask here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:23 PM