Will WHS run on this configuration? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to purchase some hardware for WHS, just wanted to run it past these forums to see if I'm missing an incompatibility...

It'll consist of an Asus V3-P5V900 (a barebones system) that contains a VIA P4M900 chipset. It has onboard LAN, but I can't figure out what brand/type, so I can't run it past the Windows Server compatibility check. Is anybody else running WHS on this barebones system, or can anybody give a reasonable assurance that it won't have problems with incompatibilities/drivers?

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:28 AM

Answers

•  BasP wrote:
    Excellent, thanks a lot! Where did you find out that it's a Realtek chip?

The Asus support site. Start here. Select "barebone" from the first dropdown. Select "V series" from the second. Select the correct model from the third dropdown and click "Search". Click on the plus next to LAN and you'll find LAN drivers for your motherboard's network hardware. The one you want is the Windows 2003 driver.

I'm glad I was able to answer your question!
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:27 PM

All replies

•  BasP wrote:

I'm about to purchase some hardware for WHS, just wanted to run it past these forums to see if I'm missing an incompatibility...

It'll consist of an Asus V3-P5V900 (a barebones system) that contains a VIA P4M900 chipset. It has onboard LAN, but I can't figure out what brand/type, so I can't run it past the Windows Server compatibility check. Is anybody else running WHS on this barebones system, or can anybody give a reasonable assurance that it won't have problems with incompatibilities/drivers?

It looks like it's a Realtek LAN chip, and I can see on the ASUS web site that there are Windows 2003 drivers available for it, so I would expect that it will probably work.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 12:20 PM
  • Excellent, thanks a lot! Where did you find out that it's a Realtek chip?
    Monday, February 26, 2007 12:28 PM
  •  BasP wrote:
    Excellent, thanks a lot! Where did you find out that it's a Realtek chip?

The Asus support site. Start here. Select "barebone" from the first dropdown. Select "V series" from the second. Select the correct model from the third dropdown and click "Search". Click on the plus next to LAN and you'll find LAN drivers for your motherboard's network hardware. The one you want is the Windows 2003 driver.

I'm glad I was able to answer your question!
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:27 PM
  • Thanks again. For some reason, Asus' site is a pain to navigate for me. Thanks for clearing this up.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 9:16 PM
  •  BasP wrote:
    Thanks again. For some reason, Asus' site is a pain to navigate for me. Thanks for clearing this up.

Sure thing.

Let us know how the WHS install goes?
    Monday, February 26, 2007 9:49 PM
  • Well, I got round to installing WHS on that system, and it's running perfectly on a 2.6GHz Celeron D with 512MB of RAM. I initially only addes a 160GB SATA drive, and after setup completed, popped a 100GB IDE drive in there. No problems adding it to the storage pool either. Not a bad system to run WHS on for well under €300.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 4:27 PM