Live OneCare Being Killed? RRS feed

• Question

• It's rumored OneCare is shutting down 6-30-09, Is this true? If so, why?
    HotRod
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:49 PM

Answers

• You'll want to read this from the top of this topic folder:
    Sticky: Announcement 11-18-08

Basically, I can't tell you why, since I don't know. I can tell you that any subscriptions will be fully supported through their term up to the end of 2010. Renewals and new activations will probably be disallowed by the end of 2009 and subscription purchases will likely be ended some time between 6/30 and the end of 2009 via the official Microsoft download/activation process.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 7:42 PM

All replies

• You'll want to read this from the top of this topic folder:
    Sticky: Announcement 11-18-08

Basically, I can't tell you why, since I don't know. I can tell you that any subscriptions will be fully supported through their term up to the end of 2010. Renewals and new activations will probably be disallowed by the end of 2009 and subscription purchases will likely be ended some time between 6/30 and the end of 2009 via the official Microsoft download/activation process.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 7:42 PM
  •   Ah, that explains it, thank you. So, what I thought was a bummer is actually a REALLY COOL THING! I'm glad that MS is cornering this particular market, because I think that there's no one more intimate with  the security loopholes in the various versions of Windows than Microsoft. And as a OneCare subscriber, I can say from experience that MS does an excellent job of addressing those issues.
     I've used various AV solutions, and am very impressed by the seamless small footprint OneCare offers. Which is why I was not a happy camper when I heard that it was shutting down. But, now that I know it's not over, but morphing into a free service, I can relax. I really didn't want to go back to fighting with Norton for control of my computer. Kudos to you Microsoft!
    HotRod
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:23 PM